Today I did SO well on my savings that I just feel the need to shout it from the rooftops.
First off, I spent $900 at our local Jewel-Osco for stimulus check gift cards. That $900 got me $990 worth of gift cards. Not a lot of investments I know of where people like us can make a 10% return on our money like that. We usually spend $80-$100 a week there on their sales, and the gift cards are good through July 31st, so it was a great deal for us.

And thanks to General Mills, I totally scored! The current promotion is that if you purchase 10 of their certain items, you get them for $1 a piece. Items such as Lucky Charms, Trix, Kix, Cheerios, Golden Grahams, Reese's Puffs, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fiber One granola bars, and Nature's Valley (or whatever they are called) granola bars).
I bought 50 boxes of cereal and 30 boxes of granola bars, plus one gallon of milk for $76.95 (I had $7.50 in coupons too). That means I saved $211.95 or 73% off of the retail value of $288.90.
What a deal!
And crazy enough...I may go buy 50 more boxes of cereal. These are the little size boxes, and our family can go through 2-3 per week (we love cereal for snacks too). They are good for about a year, so why not? With the rising cost of EVERYTHING, might as well get ahead while we can.
One of the mom's from Number Two's class was checking out right after us. She was a little awestruck by the cartful, and made a comment about how much we were stocking up. I told her she had no idea the type of bulk our family buys in, and left it at that.

Why? Well, I'm not sure she could have handled the news that we are receiving 2002.5 pounds of food next week, including a mixture of wheat, rice, beans, flour, macaroni, and oats, so I kept that part to myself.
Hmmm....guess I really ought to make clearing out the basement an immediate priority.
And if I get a little hungry while I am down there, I'll have a bowl with the leprecaun...cause you know, they're magically delicious, and a screaming deal too!
5 comments:
Wow. I know where I'm headed in case of emergency! J/K. We'd have to sell our house just to afford the gas to get there!
From one bargain lover to another -- Congratulations!
Where are you getting your 2000 pounds of grain from? We can't get any grain out here in bulk. At the cannery, you can buy wheat in the #10 cans. Hmmm....how many of those am I going to need to get my 1200 pounds to feed my family for a year???
Incredibly thrify, you are!! Congrats. Do we get to see a pix of your pantry when all is packed away? Oh, with you sitting atop the grain eating Lucky Charms too? Smile. Great job!!
Ok, so reading your posts makes me totally think, "you are me in a few years" - I am totally going to go bulk crazy once we get out of this tiny townhouse!!! I don't know about a year supply of Lucky Charms though... I think I might get sick of them after a week... either that or be on a constant sugar high ;)
Post a Comment