Since my original goal was to come in under 38 minutes, and my adjusted goal (after logging in some training miles) was to come in under 32 minutes, I would chalk that up to a great first time for me.

It IS different to run outside when you are used to the treadmill. You actually have to pace yourself! And although running past the frolicking water buffalo was awesome, it was distracting too. I noticed bears, camels, and a peacock in full tail along the way. It was great scenery for an awesome morning run.
I was especially grateful to Dave for corraling our five, and listening to endless pleas for a ride on the carousel (not yet open) or questions about when we would see the bears whilst I ran with a pack of over 1000 others.

The kids all ran in the Kids K, which due to a miscommunication error between the race director and course director, ended up to be maybe a tenth of a mile.

Little Mommy and Max crossed the finish line amidst huge cheers and lots of "Awwws." They were quite darling, if I do say so myself. All week long Max has reminded me, "I run so fast in my race." He told me, "You run so fast too." What a guy.
It was a long but great day. With the school carnival the night before, we hadn't been to bed early. And we had to leave our house before 7. After the races we stayed at the zoo until about 3. Great weather, and lots of fun animals. Hope you enjoy some pictures of the day.

When I asked Max if he knew what the dolphins were called, he very loudly announced, "Yes. Fish." By the end of the day, I think I had actually convinced him they were dolphins.

He did not like the dolpins enough to join the girls for a photo with the dolphin statue though.

He preferred to pout on a nearby bench. It is tough to be two, I tell ya.

The tiger was a definite favorite. Max had a fabulous Tiger growl to go along with it.

We had perfect timing with our sea lion visit, arriving right before feeding time.

Thanks to Dave's secretary's creative Christmas gift, our family is an official sponsor of one of the polar bears.

The kids enjoyed trying out a hut in the safari section. Kind of cozy. We were learning here about the Mbouti people. Max lovingly referred to them as the Booty People.

We also saw the dinosaur exhibit, which Max was pretty intimidated by. Dave tried to explain yet again that they were just big toys.

Here is the Princess with her kindred spirit dinosaur, the pterodactyl.

And another one of her enjoying the animals with Dave.

The baby camels were separated from the parents as they worked on developing independence. I told Little Mommy they were at camel preschool. She thought that was gtreat.

We have a picture of Dave wearing the Actress in a Bjorn when she was a baby in front of the giraffes at the Hogle Zoo. My how she's grown!

The kids ended the day on the carousel.

Isn't she just beautiful? (Of course, they all are, but sometimes I happen to take a picture I just love. This picture was worth the outrageous cost of one carousel ride.)
We stopped by a Burger King on the way home cause we were starved! (Gross, I know, but it was the first thing we passed.) And came home to relax and watch a movie. Our May Family Date was a raging success.
8 comments:
You are THE mommy----running and having all the kids run----and beating your own goal! Way to go. Love the pictures.
YAY! You're awesome! Sounds like a great day!
Oh, and I love my treadmill and all, but it takes me a lot longer to run a 5k on my treadmill than it does outside. Is the same true for you?
What an awesome first run! Congrats. The fam looks like they had fun too. And the pic of the one I teach on the Carousel is truly darling.
Allison has the same problem as Max. We took her through the dino exhibit and she was scared to death, to the point that she cried and hid, so we walked through it as quickly as possible! Great Run time!! Amazing!
Way to go!!!! YOU are Awesome!!!! Thanks to you, I have decided to work harder at getting in shape. I went for a walk the other day and ran part of it. My foot is better and I think I'm a little hesitant to run too much just yet. Any tips for starting to be a runner would be welcome. I think I want to run a 5K someday (woah, am I crazy?!).
I love the pictures. My, how we miss you guys. We really do. I know I sound ungrateful because I really had a desire to send you a special thank-you note and write something to everyone. Unfortunately, Brian left for Spain and Marshall didn't handle it. Things were REALLY bad here. Some days I just barely survive. I said I would call and let the kids talk. I still will. We miss all of you guys! It seems like you are family to us now.
What a fun day! Congratulations on your 5K--definitely an accomplishment. :)
Way to go Kristin! I loved the pictures of all your gang! My how time has truly flown! Good job conquering that 5K! Way to go sis!
Post a Comment