Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Most Memorable Christmas Ever

Dear Diary,

This was one of the best Christmases ever! Christmas Eve day we wrapped the kids in a huge gift bag meant for bicyles and delivered them on Mr. Bloomer's parents' front door...in Acton, MA (a mere thousand miles away, give or take).

Mr. Bloomer's parents are on a service mission for the church, volunteering their time and paying their own way to help New Englanders with employment skills. As devoted grandparents of thirty-three grandchildren, leaving their home and family in Utah to come to Boston has been a great sacrifice.

Sure, Christmas morning in the Hampton Inn wasn't entirely traditional. I can't remember any other Christmas with hotel waffles for breakfast and an evening swim in the hotel pool. But Santa found his way to our stockings here, and we so enjoyed sharing this precious time with Grama and Grampa. Our party of nine stayed cozy, dividing our time between a king studio suite hotel room and an itty bitty missionary apartment. We did make a mall excursion today to get a change of scenery. And wow! That turned out to be quite an adventure.

I really admire Mr. Bloomer's parents for being out here doing the work they are doing. I think it has been difficult and sometimes very frustrating, yet they have done as they have been asked, serving when it wasn't easy. I am thrilled that our family could find a small way to send them the message that we love them and we're proud of them. Seeing their surprised and overjoyed faces when they realized who was in the bag was one of the best moments our family has ever had together. The kids will never forget this Christmas, and neither will I.

Love,
Kristin

3 comments:

Kara said...

What an inspiring Christmas adventure! I'm sure that you and your family will treasure the memory for always.

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

From the grandparents point of view it was probably the most memorable Christmas for us!!! What a wonderful surprise and the time and patience taken by the whole family was supreme!!!! They truly gave of themselves and we love them.....lots!!!!

Kim and company said...

I am SOOOOO glad you went! Way to go family!! Way to spread some Christmas Cheer! I love it!!!