Wednesday, January 19, 2011

And back to writing

Some of you who've been with me for a while will remember my big announcement a couple of years ago about being a writer when I grew up.

And then I became a runner.

And now I'm a jogger, at best, and I'm going back to writing.

I enrolled in my first online writing course and fulfilled my first assignment tonight: to post an introduction to the online discussion group, including my goals for the class.

Subject: Mom of 5

Seeking guidance from an appreciated writing instructor and support from capable and creative fellow students as she plunges into the world of magazine writing and makes it a part-time career.

I have always loved words: reading, and writing, and editing, and even speaking them. I have experience as an in-house writer/editor for an internet company, as well as experience as a freelance college textbook editor. I am an elementary school teacher by education, and a full time plus overtime mother of five children by profession. My husband works long hours as an attorney so I can stay home with our crew of four girls and one boy, ages 2-10. Plus our dog.

Though my work as a mother is very fulfilling, I need to keep a piece of life held sacred for personal goals and accomplishments. I am a better wife and mother for remembering to do this and making it a priority. Last year I ran a marathon and have found great joy in running (surprising for one who always dreaded running the mile).

Now I'm ready to focus on writing with an ultimate goal of a book series for the upper elementary school age group. I figure magazine writing is a great place to get my feet wet.

Though I fear the challenge of keeping my words concise...



(Mine was the longest introduction.)

1 comment:

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

You go girl!!! Waiting to see you at a book signing party at the local Barnes and Noble!!