
When I was in high school, I would wear silk thermals under my jeans if the temperature dropped to 40 or below. Yes, I grew up in California. Yes, I am a wimp about the cold.
There was no school today in our district due to "frigid temperatures." Number One lamented that just because her mom was from California that she had to be cooped up all day and couldn't play in the snow. Um...even people not from California who could avoid the chance of hypothermia are inside today. I promise.
The feels like temperature at the moment is -32. Yes, that was a negative. And yes, that is 72 degrees colder than the temperature at which I used to think I needed thermals. As if it could get worse, the winds are blowing as well, with gusts up to 22 mph. At this level of absolute frigidity I don't need a snowsuit, I need a spacesuit. Seriously, I don't get how any portion of Alaska could be habitable year-round.
(Sarah Palin...I get why you took the nomination for Vice-President. You saw it as your ticket to come one step closer to the equator. Sorry it didn't work out for you.)
School will likely be cancelled again tomorrow for the same reason as today. The forecast for the morning includes:
6am -19°F (actual temp)
Clear -36° (feels like temp)
From W 8 mph (wind)
7am -17°F
Sunny -34°
From W 8 mph
8am -13°F
Sunny -30°F
From WSW 9 mph
Don't be fooled by the label of "sunny." You see, the sun here is actually BROKEN! It reminds me of the LED lights that give light, but don't get hot, except I thought the sun was supposed to give light AND get hot. And please disregard the actual temperature, as what really matters is how it feels. Which. Is. Life-threateningly. ARCTIC!
God bless the people who invented central heating. And the internet. (Yes you Al, at least you got something right!) And pizza delivery. And diapers.com. And peapod.com. Cause I'm not coming out until someone fixes our sun.
7 comments:
Burr! I can't imagine it getting any colder than what I experience her in Utah, which is much colder than Oregon! I'm glad you are enjoying Chicago!:)
K, it's so brightening (but not warming) to read your posts. I wouldn't even let my kids out to go to school in that weather!!! Frostbite is the name of the game. Not quite that cold here but we'll see in the am. And you're right--the sun IS broken. It was out today and we even had sunlight fading at 5:30 but there sure wasn't any warmth to it!! Cheer up, spring is just around the corner-----except the first corner is miles away......
Brr! I remember school getting canceled because of frigid temperatures when I was a kid in that area. I hope your heater keeps working well. In Utah it's warm. I mean, even when it's cold it's not THAT cold. Ya know what I mean? It's a different cold. Stay warm!!
It was 72 yesterday. It is time to come home.
PS: Just have to let you know the sun is NOT broken. It was out yesterday and today and if I stood in the parking lot, surrounded by buildings and trees so I couldn't feel the wind, I actually DID feel a titch of warmth from the sun---even tho it is 180 million miles away. So don't give up hope!!!
You're hilarious. I miss you. And it is even funnier reading it when I know it was probably 60 today here.
Come visit sometime! There's nothing to do here but it is warm.
"The earth has a fever...."
Albert Gore
My favorite quote of all time spoken by a nobel laureate, (quack)scientist, politician.
I wonder if I just shaved his beard, he'd think the world was still burning up. I wonder what he'll think when the savior comes :)
Post a Comment