Monday, March 23, 2009

The Perfect Day, Part ll: Family Saturday

By the time I was fully awake last Saturday morning, there were four wiggly little bodies cuddling, wrestling, tickling, and giggling in our king-size bed. If only I could wake up that way everyday...with time to revel in it.

We went downstairs for breakfast as a family, with Mr. Bloomers pitching in all the way. It was so nice to be together. We had planned for me to go to Weight Watchers, before an afternoon at the gym. Another week with a loss! So encouraging.

This whole gym thing is a dream. The kids LOVE to be there, which is so helpful for me. Truthfully, though I enjoy working out, sometimes I go more for the kids than for me. But we both benefit.

I exercised for a good hour and 15 minutes. Mr. Bloomers seemed a little wilty after his treadmilling, so I sent him on a quick trip to Target for Lunchables whilst I finished up.

We enjoyed our lunch at the gym cafe as an exhibit in "Average Family Size of Three Decades Ago." I had a yummy sandwich with avocado. (How many points? Not sure.)

And then on to a swimming adventure at the gym pool. Due to recent weight loss, my bathing suit actually fit almost comfortably! (This would be my largest non-prego suit.) I felt happier than I remember feeling in a long while. Completely contented to watch my little fishes swim until their fingers thoroughly raisined up. Even Princess enjoyed our time in the water.

It took the usual SUPER-LONG time for all of us to get showered and dressed afterward, but what a great feeling to have the Saturday night baths out of the way by the time we left!

And how to end this great family date day?

By going out to dinner at a train-themed diner. Max was SO excited every time the toy train mounted near the ceiling came whizzing in the vicinity of our table. The food was greasy spoon awesome. (How many points? I don't want to know.) The company was even better.

Our family does like to be together, but I do my fair share of playing referee to the kids, reminding them how to share, show kindness, etc. etc. With both a terrible two and a terrible three, I also witness more than my share of tantrums. And let's not forget the sensitivity of The Artist and the drama of The Actress.

Yet for some reason, everything just worked on this perfect day. Everyone got along. Everyone was happy. Everyone felt filled, refreshed, and loved. And that makes for a truly perfect day in my book.

4 comments:

Melinda said...

Sigh...that does sound perfect.

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

Sounds like a lovely day. But you know what sounds good for tomorrow morn?? It's going to be really cold so I look forward to sleeping in (sigh--with no little wiggly worms under the covers), quilt up to my neck and not getting up til it's at lest 25 degrees!!!:) Then going to do the wash....duh. And keep going on the weight loss!!! U R doing good!!

Jen said...

Good job! What a great family activity. I would love a BOB stroller, but I have found even with the running stroller I do own, I would much rather run without it (without the kids). The stroller makes it a lot harder to run and then I lose my motivation to go. Just a thought before you buy that oh so beautiful stroller that I know is a fortune. Yet, I do know many that love theirs and use it a lot. I guess everyone is different. Good luck in whatever you decide! Congrats on your progress!

JEN said...

What a fun day! Thanks for sharing!