Monday, April 6, 2009

Little Mommy Tales

Little Mommy is at the stage of princess...beautiful dancing, an endless desire to wear dress-ups and jewelry, and ample talk of princes and servants.


In fact yesterday she offered to let me be her servant. Um, sure. But don't we ALWAYS play that game?


A couple of months ago she was able to take a ballet class with her favorite friend. It was a dream come true for Little Mommy.


She loved choosing her outfit each week from the abundant trove of ballet and gymnastics leotards and accessories.


She loved putting her shoes in a ballet bag. She loved feeling like a big girl, in attending her OWN ballet class.


She loved seeing her teacher and feeling like a princess.


She loved the music and the twirling and the leaping.


And I loved to spy in the window and watch the magic.

*********************************************


Sometimes when I look at her, I can't believe how grown up Little Mommy is becoming. She takes her role as a big sister very seriously, and as an experienced little sister, she understands the drill.

She tried to explain it to Princess the other night:


"Listen to me because I am your big sister and you have to listen to your big sister. You cannot just cry and cry at your big sister."

*********************************************

Recently I had laid out a darling wrap dress for Little Mommy to wear to church. It did NOT meet the princess wardrobe criteria, and she let me know.

LM: "I need a different dress. This one isn't pretty."

Me: "I like that dress. I think it is pretty."

LM: "All my friends are going to say this dress is weird."

Me: "It's not weird, it's a cute wrap jumper."

LM: "It doesn't jump. See?" [shrugs shoulders grumpily so dress bounces up and down]


I painted her nails to help her feel more pretty, as she had decided that maybe wearing the dress would be okay.


Not long after that, I discovered that she had apparently engaged in some conflict with my makeup, and the makeup had won.

What will I do when she's 16?"

*********************************************


Little Mommy is such a gift and a joy. If only I could make her stay little forever, I would happily be her servant.

3 comments:

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

Those pictures are darling!!!! She's really into the princess dance routine!!!! And we know what a cutie she is--so full of life and fun!!!

Kim and company said...

What a darling! How fun to see little pictures of her. She and her cousin Pop would surely be princess friends!

Jen said...

It's so fun being a mom! I'm glad you're recording these feelings and thoughts. She's really cute.