Sunday, May 10, 2009

Lessons in Over-running

I finally consider myself a runner now. I generally run 3-6 miles about 4 days a week. Some weeks I run more often, but I always get at least 3 runs in, and I always run at least 2 miles, even if I am in a hurry.

My first mini-goal was to be able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes. I have run 3.1 miles in 30 minutes, which is my fastest 5K time to date. When I made plans to sign up for my first 5K (next weekend!) I had hoped to run it in under 38 minutes. Now, I hope to run it in under 32 minutes. I have made progress.

My longer distance speed (over 4 miles) has increased from about 4.5 mph to 5.5 mph. For shorter distances I run at between 6-7 mph.

So last night, I determined that I was ready to run a Half Marathon: 13 miles. The furthest I had ever run before was around 8 miles. Only 5 miles more, right? This wasn't a well thought out idea. In fact, I came up with it during my run, which I initially planned to be about 7 miles. (Read:no advanced preparation)

I figured I would be extra sore the next couple of days, but that I would receive a huge confidence boost in my running before the 5K, and prove to myself that I was really a runner now.

I learned that though I am a runner, I am still a novice runner. Last night was quite an experience, and I learned a lot, the hard way:

1. I have no idea about proper hydration. After about 11 miles I shouted to Dave to please bring me some water. He did, and I drank around 14 ounces way too quickly. I know, not a wise idea.

2. I can run 13 miles. I did walk from 11.5-11.6 miles, one tenth, but otherwise I ran the whole way.

3. My long distance speed of 5.5 mph is something I cannot sustain after about 9 miles. I had to take it down to about 5 mph for most of the last few miles.

4. After some post-running internet research I discovered that you should eat within about 15 minutes of finishing. I had been done for over an hour when I discovered this tidbit. And I couldn't imagine eating anything at that point.

5. If you sweat long enough, you can end up with salt resting on your skin. Yum.

6. Hydration should happen during the run gradually. Um, duh, right?

7. According to my treadmill, I burned around 1700 calories. You think that makes up for my half pound gain this week?

8. When something about your clothing isn't comfortable, and is chaffing by mile 7, that is only a hint of the pain you will feel by mile 13. The bike shorts I was wearing were apparently not a great choice.

9. If your blood sugars and electrolytes end up out of whack and you are dehydrated, one of the body's common responses is vomiting.

10. There is such a thing as runner's diarrhea. Lovely, no?

I finished my run with a smile on my face. I think I smiled the last half mile. I felt such a feeling of accomplishment, and I felt such confidence in my strong body. I was a little sore, but otherwise I felt great. I decided to soak in a hot bath to sooth my legs and relax my body. I later decided that this was probably not the best plan.

About a hour later, I began to think I was dying. Forty minutes after that, I finally went and got Dave. My skin was pasty white, and I couldn't keep anything in my body. I felt so so sick. Finally, after another half hour or so, I was able to keep about 6 oz of juice and two long stick pretzels down, and I went to bed. (Did I mention I finished my run just before midnight?)

I was so grateful this morning that I woke up! To breakfast in bed, no less. I love that about Mother's Day. Stiff, yes, but alive and able to eat again.

So what I have learned? Preparation is key in achieving goals. Learn from others, and be realistic in your expectations of yourself.

Oh yeah, and dehydration is not good. Very very very much not good. I had been surprised to find I wasn't really sweating when I was done. I don't think this was a good thing.

If any of you can find other objects lessons in this experience, do share. I think it's time for me to drink some more water and spend time with the little darlings busy dressing up for their Mother's Day Show.

P.S. For anyone interested, my time was 2 hours, 24 minutes and 2 seconds. I hope to someday beat that time, when I am better prepared to run that far in the first place!

9 comments:

Aprilyn said...

You are amazing!! I want to try running but I have to start VERY small. I will do it though. My foot is finally getting better. I can wear a shoe if I walk slowly but that's major improvement!

The boys are sick today. Nate coughs so hard and loud that you can probably hear him outside!! I hope you guys are doing well. We really miss you guys..

Alexis said...

Well, one thing that I learned from Jason (he was once a long distance runner in high school, 10 years ago) is to try not to drink much water at all if you can. That you want to take little sips and pour the water over yourself. Do you think the skin sucks up the water? Also, don't clutch up your hands when running, aparently it makes running more difficult. And last do not run with your arms held high (around your chest) he says to keep them low, aparently this will help you run more efficient in the long run.
I am very very impressed with you. So many children and you are in good shape now. I wish I had your strenght!

Christen said...

That's a whole lot of running, congratulations! I think I'll stick with the much easier elliptical to get back into shape after the baby, but your dedication is nonetheless inspiring! :)

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

WOW!! You are to be commended and given laurels and crowns!!! You go girl and keep it up---along with food and water!!!

jennybhill said...

Good job on the mental accomplishments with running -- considering yourself a runner & being able to decide, while running, to set a new personal record for distance and having the determination to finish! Sounds like you've learned a couple unforgettable physical lessons too. It's all worth it in the long run, haha.

Jolynn said...

You need to visit the sports nutrition center at the store (Target has it) and buy some Gu. It's in a small packet. Read the directions. I usually have some at about mile 5. It has much needed electrolytes. The taste is nasty but worth it. You could also buy Sports beans (little jelly beans with same stuff). They taste better, but I almost choked on one. Take small sips of water while running when needed. Keep it up girl!!!!

Lani said...

Great job! It is a little crazy to just up and run a half marathon.... mental toughness makes up for a lot.

Running is addictive. Be careful. That runner's buzz is as good as heroine :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, this reminds me of Sherdon's sudden Marathon he decided to run a year or two ago. He understood the water thing, and kept calling me to bring it to him--the problem was I couldn't understand his directions and couldn't find him.

He survived.

But YOU ARE AMAZING! Not only that you can run that far, but that you can do it on a treadmill! Running bores me, even when I use my kids' shuffle.

You're amazing. Just too amazing.

-Lani

Anonymous said...

ps. I miss you! I am so terrible at keeping up with reading people's blogs. I can't even write my own--Sherdon has to do it for us, and then you NEVER get the REAL story!

Anyway, Hope you enjoying life--you're an inspiration.