Thursday, October 29, 2009

Stream of Consciousness: Thoughts of a Two and a Half Year Old Boy

An email I sent to Mr. Bloomers today read:

Subject: Your son

just built a tower of legos.

"I'm building a big gun."

"Lovely."

"Do you like my big gun Mom? Pchoo. Pchoo."

"Yes, well, we don't shoot people though, right?"

"We only shoot bad guys. That right Mom? We just shoot the bad guys [sinister voice]."

"Okay."

[Quiet for a minute.]


"Pchoo. Pchoo. I shoot you Mom."

"Yeah, except I'm not a bad guy."

"Yes you are. Can I take my legos to school to show Alma?"

"I don't think that is a very good idea."

[Takes gun apart and puts pieces in box.]

[Singing] "Open and shut. Open and shut. Open and shut. Fold them in your lap. Heav'ly Fader. Thank thee. In name of Jesus Christ. Amen."

[Pulls on bathing suit with floaties built in.] "These are my underpants. Bye Mom!"

[Comes back. Picks up mail from your Dad.] "This what the mail truck brought us. I will read it. [singing] Old MacDonald had a farm E I E I O. And on that farm he had a pig. E I E I O. With a [snort, snort] here, and a [snort, snort] here."

And this is the message Mr. Bloomers returned to me:

Love that kid. I don't think you are a bad guy.

4 comments:

Crys said...

I grew up with a very anti-gun mama. The irony of course is the fact that my papa was an army man who moved big guns. He also tried to give me a handgun for my 19th birthday. Anyway I was more like my mom...anti gun. But I have a son...and so my mom has supplied us with three light sabers and plenty of pirate swords and I've decided that in all honesty I'd prefer the guns...at least they wouldn't be actually hitting each other when they go to kill each other :)

Kristin said...

And the really funny thing? We don't own any guns. We don't watch TV shows about guns. We don't talk about guns.

I don't even know where he learned what a gun is, or how to construct one out of legos.

I think guns are part of the Y chromosome.

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

I just had to laugh at all of it.....nothing like a boys brain to jump from subject to subject and make it seem like logic!!!

gollyjess said...

Same here, we did not introduce guns to Alma and suddenly he was going around pretending to shoot guns. I have since told him to shoot his eye laser beams. Perhaps Alma and Tommy should get together so they can build something else with their lego blocks.