Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Marathon Reflections

Well, the big day has come and gone. The soreness passed quickly, with the exceptions of my two second toes...probably going to lose both toenails. Awesome. Promise not to show pictures of that. :)


I've had a number of mixed feelings about the whole experience. Unfortuneately, the strongest feeling I've experienced in the last couple of days is one of disappointment in myself, as I don't feel like I put forth the best race I was capable of physically after so much training.

I've been working really hard to overcome such feelings, and focus more on the positive. Some wise friends pointed out that I ought to focus more on what I've become because of the training. I also feel good about the example I've set for my children. I received a few super-encouraging emails from others who were inspired by my goals to make some fitness goals for themselves. And I raised some money for a very worthy cause that is near and dear to me heart.


So all is not lost.

But now I'm going to have to do it all again, probably in 3 or 4 years when the kids are older. In the meantime, I'll work on getting faster on the shorter distances, running 5K's mainly, with a couple of half marathons each year.


And someday I'll run that marathon that will make me feel proud of myself with no reservations.

Look for an actual race report in the next two days. And thanks again to two very special friends for watching our FIVE little ones while Mr. Bloomers and I were otherwise engaged in running ourselves sick. (Well, at least I got sick. :)


(Also, sorry about my pasty white face and slumping shoulders in these pictures. We cleverly forgot to take any pre-race photos, so here I am trying hard not to be violently ill. And yes, I paid out of pocket to have this experience on purpose. But doesn't Mr. Bloomers look handsome?)

7 comments:

isela said...

Congratulations :). You did it! Yay!!!

Michael said...

Had my share of mixed emotions as well on my first half. All in all, though, what an experience. I'm gearing up for another half training so I can do a bit better than this first one. You did a great job. Be proud.

Alex S. said...

Kristin, Dear, dear, Kristin . . .

Seriously?!? You are disappointed with how you ran?!? Hey - you just ran a marathon - that's 26.2 miles!!! You FINISHED, you LOOK great in those pics (even though you may feel like @#$%&$#%#!!), and you managed to run a full household while in training. You have MORE than earned props, girl!!!! YAY, KRISTEN!!!!!!

Crys said...

I love the new family pic! That had to make it totally worth it. YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

Christen said...

Congratulations fellow Kristin!!!! I wouldn't have guessed those were "after" pics. 2 Timothy 4:7, you finished the race! I love that there is biblical encouragement for everything, even marathons. :)

jennybhill said...

Congratulations! You did it! It was fun to see you on the course during that first leg, and you sure looked like you were having fun :) Your family picture is fantastic, by the way. What a great family memory.

Kim and company said...

Somehow I missed in all this that Dave was running the half-marathon! Good for both of you. I also felt disappointed after running the marathon, thinking I would have done better (I missed my goal time by about 20 minutes--those last 6 miles are brutal!) Now it's 4 years later, I still run regularly, but I'm not feeling overly motivated to do another 26.2! Feel good--you are one of less than 1% of people who can say they've run a marathon and finished! Dan