Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A good morning, and our family advertises for the Gap

This morning I woke before my alarm. And rather than stretch out the last 20 minutes of my time in bed, I got up to run. So I could run a little longer and still have time with the kids.

It was the best run I've had in weeks. And the fact that I went out at all was pretty great as I've been skipping out on those morning runs far too often.

I went out slower. I took in the beauty of the fall leaves and the colors of the sunrise. I was more patient with the dog as he continued his quest to mark every pole, mailbox, and tree in his world. I allowed the music to lift my soul. I prayed for charity today.

When I got home most of the kids were up. One in particular seemed to be struggling. Rather than hurry her as I often do I was patient and just offered help without making her feel bad. And we avoided another morning of contention with this child who really just needs to feel loved and understood.

I had a few kissy moments with Mr. Bloomers in front of the elementary school when I drove him to meet the bus. I wondered if the teachers already inside would be saying to themselves, "That must be why they have five children."

After the elementary school drop-off (which was on time :), we came home to finish the preschoolers. Rather than argue or dismiss the one who had since turned grumpy I managed to dance her back to joy. (Maybe my dancing to one of the rocking songs of Camp Rock 2 was just too funny to resist.)

Really it wasn't that spectacular of a morning. I didn't win the lottery, or wake up to flowers or breakfast in bed. My kids weren't all perfectly well behaved. My house isn't as clean as I wish it were.

But in this ordinary morning I feel happiness in my heart. And that is the real treat.






2 comments:

Jen said...

Cute! :)

Kim and company said...

Way to go girl! Way to conquer "the natural man" as a runner AND more importantly as a mommy! Keep it up sis!