Recently in our search for a new family vehicle (we have settled on a used 9 passenger Suburban, though I haven't found the right one yet), I have been using the edmunds.com website to find the TMV® (True Market Value®) of various Suburbans. This TMV® is supposed to reflect the actual value of the vehicle, including colors, mileage, features, location, etc.
Which got me thinking...What is my TMA (True Market Age)?
On Thursday of this week I turned 30. Yikes...I actually left my 20's, and started a new decade. On the one hand, this makes me feel really old. Now, I have friends (lots of them) who are past the 30's, and even some that are old enough to be my mother. I understand that 30 really isn't all that old. But yet it still feels kind of old.
But on the other hand, I feel like maybe it is about time I finally hit 30. I have been married for nearly 10 years and I am expecting my fifth child. I am the mom. I probably SHOULD be 30 by now. Especially seeing as how I find I am about the youngest mom at any gathering of moms at my children's schools and activies.
So what do you think my TWA really is? I asked Dave, and he said 22. Good man.
Seriously though, at my 10 year reunion almost 2 years ago I would guess that only about one third of my classmates were married. And maybe only half of those had kids. Most of the moms I associate with are probably in their mid to late 30's.
Our next door neighbors have three children, and told me they feel like they ought to help their kids (unmarried and living at home past high school, but in college, two of which have been or are about to go to law school) until around 27. By the time I turned 27 I was expecting my third child and hadn't lived at home, even just for the summer, for nearly seven years!
So what is my TMA in current society? I am thinking maybe somewhere around 38. What do you think?
6 comments:
They think they should help their kids until they are 27???? I know this is the topic for a whole new post, but I think THAT is one of the huge problems with today's society. Anyway, I am not even going to venture your TMA, but if we were living 2000 years ago you would be a grandma by now. Hows that for perspective??
I'm old too. I'm 33 and will be 34 in October. I can't believe the parents are still helping kids that old!! I was married the first time at 22. My grandparents are pretty much broke because they STILL take care of my Aunt and Uncle (twins, youngest children in the family) even though they are over 40! Isn't that ridiculous??!!!
You have more kids than I do so I guess I thought you were about my age. I don't think it matters. I'd have more kids if I could. My body, and husband, and our stress level and Marshall are all reasons for not having more kids than 2. I do want more but...well...we'll see. I know we need at least one more. I feel like there is a girl waiting for us.
I am one of those who can confuse others into thinking I am either way young or too old. I don't know why. I'm not sure what I prefer. Honestly, I was an idiot at 22.
Happy Birthday by the way!
I found your blog through Jackie's- and I have enjoyed your insights. I must say, I will turn 31 in September and so far my 30's have been way better than my 20's- so embrace it!!! Hopefully we all know ourselves a lot better than we did a decade ago. Congrats on the soon-to-be baby girl- your little boy will be so well trained!!!
So in general I have always looked young for my age. I was 20 going home for Christmas sitting next to my sister in the emergency exit aisle on the plane and the stewardess asked if I was over 15. OVER 15?! So it really doesn't help out that I look young and I am by far one of the youngest mother's in Walnut Creek, CA. I went to a baby's group and one lady was 41, one was the grandmother (the mother was mid-30's) and two other mom's in their 30's. I didn't make any friends there even though I tried, because there is this stigma between 30's and 20's that all 20 yr. old's are stupid, ditzy, don't know themselves or whatever. What about some of us who aren't?! Anyways...enough ranting. As far as your TMA, in the real world you should be older with (a) having children and (b) how many you have. But you aren't. So I guess that makes you above average?
Ok, I feel your pain! I had all three of my kids by the time I was 30 and I kinda look young too (of so I have been told). I know most of our friends are in their later 30's and have kids the same age as we are. So, I think my TMA is around 38 as well. I just seem to have more in common with the AVERAGE 38 year old than I do the AVERAGE 31 year old...does that make sense?
Post a Comment