Sunday, October 19, 2008

Adventures in Letterboxing: Part Two

On Sunday, we delivered Dave to the airport. He had to be in New York for the week. And while the cat's away...let's just say that although I could have (and maybe should have) used K more as a baby-sitter during the time we had her, I wanted her to have fun too, and so we played a lot more than we worked.


Determined to try letterboxing again on Monday, I took everyone to a local forest preserve where not one, but two letterboxes were hidden. We were sure we would be successful this time. This forest preserve had been recommended by a friend of mine (mother of six boys) as a great place to go day hiking as a family.


It was beautiful. The fall colors were captivating...as were the mosquitos. We were confused by the first of the two letterboxing instructions, but felt confident that we could successfully find the other one. We reached the identifying tree that would help us pinpoint the way, and discovered that this letterbox was hidden in the middle of the trees, fifty paces in. The mosquitos were thick on the trail, and blinding in the woods.


By this point, Number Three was slower and slower, insisting she was scared of the woods. We figured if we were my friend's family of boys, we might venture on, but while wearing Number Four on my back and Number Five on my front, I feared they might be completely eaten alive. Ultimately, like the silly group of girls we were, we determined our best course of action was to run for the safety of the car, and head to Sweet Tomatoes. Poor Number Three struggled to keep her pants up while running, but we all managed to troop along out of there. It was another grand adventure.


So, since we are now 0 for 3 on actually finding a letterbox, I am realizing maybe I am not so great at letterboxing. But since the real point for us was to engage in a wholesome recreational activity together as a team, I guess we have been successful after all.


If we ever do find a letterbox...sigh...I promise it will be blog-worthy. In the meantime, let me know if any of you have any letterboxing experience...including any tips on how to actually find a letterbox.

4 comments:

Julie said...

That sounds really cool. I am going to have to check out the Letterboxing :) I wonder if they have any around here. It sounds a lot like Geocaching....have you ever done that? My sister-in-law and husband love to do that and have had luck with it. So fun

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

Never heard of letter boxing but have heard of the geocaching. Much too confusing for my old brain!! But at least you didn't get eaten alive and I like your pictures!!! Sorry we weren't in Boston to make a quick trip to see D in New York!!

Judy said...

We've done a little geocaching, but Letterboxing is new to me. Is K still there to help you?

Anonymous said...

The girls & I found several letterboxes last summer in some nearby forest preserves. It was a lot of fun. We loved trying to figure out the clues. On the other hand, geocaching has not been to our liking - the caches tend to not be in beautiful forest preserves (more like on the the edge of a parking lot), and they have fewer clues to the actual location.