Friday, October 31, 2008

Why The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Supports Prop 8

I just discovered the official statement of the church regarding its involvement in the Protect Marriage coalition. I think it is very good, and very well written.

One thing I find interesting in the Prop 8 debate, is the volume of name-calling and insults I find from the No on 8 contingent. I appreciate America as a free country where we all can express ourselves, but I wish there were more intelligent and well-reasoned responses and less personal attacks.

I don't expect everyone to agree, but I do wish people expressed themselves with more respect for themselves and others.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

It's frustrating to be thought of as a bigot and intolerant for having a moral commitment, especially when I come home and find my Yes sign ripped and in the middle of the road.

Aprilyn said...

My friend Cindy lives in California and her signs are always ripped up or stolen or have graffiti on them. I've had 2 friends who have had verbal attacks from people who oppose Prop 8. Interesting isn't it, that WE are the bigots? The ones who are NOT saying mean, hateful things to others, just the ones who quietly do what they feel is right.

Lani said...

The real question is if you can define marriage as two people of the same sex, when will an animal and a human be able to have a "life long" commitment and then "marriage" will be extended again. Once you start, you can't stop where this will end. Marriage is a relationship involving a man and a woman. Just like a horse is a hoofed animal but it isn't a cow! A cow is not a horse no matter how bad you want to call a cow a horse. It isn't that you hate the cow or that the cow is less than the horse but it isn't a horse. You can't just redefine everything in the world.

Amy Spalding said...

I too find it interesting that some people who say they want tolerance can be so intolerant themselves. I was shocked to see the news last night and see that Steve Young's wife has openly come out against Prop 8, and the church's stand. I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think some people have the wrong idea of what the proposition is all about.

Anonymous said...

You are awful people.