I just received this email from my sister:
"Please pray for G [my nephew] and the [G's girlfriend's family]. A [his girlfriend] was filming G at about 5:00 tonight on the train tressel and did not hear the train. It hit her in the head and she was gone instantly.
Her parents will be back over tomorrow to meet with us and the coroner...
I will let you now as soon as the service time is set."
I know the prayers of my few loyal readers can give extra comfort and strength to my nephew and my sister's family, and the family of my nephew's girlfriend. Please remember them.
Due to distance, I don't get to visit with this nephew often, but he is a stellar guy. He has excelled in school and in extra-curriculars, and more importantly, he is a super high quality person. He is a great son to my sister, and a wonderful example to those around him. He will graduate from high school next month, and was accepted to both BYU-Provo and BYU-Hawaii.
I remember the day of G's baptism when he was 8. He and I were able to spend some time in the scriptures together as we talked about what the baptismal covenant meant. I read to him from Mosiah 18 in the Book of Mormon.
7 And it came to pass *after many days there were a goodly number gathered together at the place of Mormon, to hear the words of Alma. Yea, all were gathered together that believed on his word, to hear him. And he did teach them, and did preach unto them repentance, and redemption, and faith on the Lord.
8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—
10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?
11 And now when the people had heard these words, they clapped their hands for joy, and exclaimed: This is the desire of our hearts.
He and I visited quite a bit about what this passage means. And how we promise to comfort others, and be a witness of God when we are baptized. It was a great conversation, but I didn't know how much he took from it.
The next day in church it was fast and testimony meeting. On this day, once a month, members of the congregation are asked to fast for two meals and contribute the value of their meals (and more if they can) to a fund which helps those in need. The meeting time is taken by those members who feel a desire to come forward and bear testimony of our Savior.
That amazing little G bore his testimony that day, all of his own accord, because he felt of the truthfulness in those verses above. In fact, he took his scripture up and read some of them, bearing witness that he felt the Holy Ghost confirming to him that these words were true, and that he was glad he could be baptized.
So today I pray that as I mourn with G from afar, that he will feel comforted. That he will know in his heart that A will be resurrected again because of our Savior, that her spirit is safe in paradise, and that he can see her again. And that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Ghost his heart can find peace.
3 comments:
Your family and his girlfriends family will be in my prayers.
I am so sorry to hear this. I can't even imagine how they are feeling. We will keep them in our prayers. I am so sorry.
How very tragic... sending prayers from Minnesota!!
Post a Comment