Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Whole Body Makeover

I struggle immensely with pre-partum depression, but the first four times around I felt great again by 2 weeks post-partum. After Princess, this was not the case. My depression affected my eating, which affected my depression. I wasn't sleeping well either, and I had only recently begun to try and exercise regularly again.

A concerned family member had suggested in a lengthy and heartfelt email that I get some meds for depression. Though I would never judge another person's choice to go this route as there are times when this is wholly appropriate, I did not feel like this was the answer for me. I felt that I needed to make my physical body a priority, especially in regards to regular exercise. Of course eating and sleeping needed attention too.

On Valentine's Day I woke up with a new motivation and strength to do what I was feeling inspired to do. I was unhappy with my attempts to lose weight that had only seemed to result in losing and regaining the same 10 pounds, and I felt I needed help to get my eating back on track, for both weight loss and general health. I looked up the nearest Weight Watchers meeting and told Mr. Bloomers I would be leaving in less than an hour to attend.

Weight Watchers was great. I had done it before years earlier, and love the program because it teaches healthy responsible eating of real regular food--a lifestyle change rather than a quick temporary fix. Within 9 weeks I had lost about 20 pounds and was feeling better.

At this point, I quit Weight Watchers to save the money, but kept doing it on my own. I still eat what my family eats, but I do think about points most days even though I no longer write down everything I eat or religiously track points. If we get Pizza Hut, I eat one slice with lots of veggies rather than 3 or 4 slices. I am careful in my portioning, and I try to really focus on foods that give a lot of bang for the buck...meaning nutritional value for the calories. It probably took me 6 months to get to the point where I feel so good eating such a healthy diet that I generally choose the healthy eating because I want to rather than because I am forcing myself to.

When I read success stories, I like to know the numbers, don't you? I am 5'4". When I started Weight Watchers in February, I weighed about 177. Five kids in less than eight years, plus stress-eating for moves, job changes, grad school for Mr. Bloomers, etc. had taken its toll in a big way. I was a size 14. Fast forward to today. I weigh about 132, and wear a size 4.

Now I haven't been a size 4 since high school, and though healthy eating has helped me find a healthy weight, I have to give the credit for my current body to a recently developed passion for running, especially since I stopped actually trying to lose weight a couple of months ago when I was a size 6.

For most of my life I hated running, but I think that is because I never got good enough at it to enjoy the benefits. This isn't to say that I am that fast or that I will be doing any record setting, but I am in good shape and enjoy most of my runs.

I now run about 25 miles a week, either outside at the crack of dawn, or on the treadmill at home or the gym whenever I can get the chance. I do run while my other kids play in the basement, so long as Princess is napping as she isn't old enough to have the sense to keep her distance.

Though I occasionally have depressed kinds of days, my mind and heart are healthy again. Running has been so great for my mental health. I enjoy my blessings so much more. I feel stronger and healthier and have more energy. I feel greater adoration for Mr. Bloomers and our darling children. I have more patience for them, and savor every delicious moment with them.

I feel like myself again. And that is the real success.


Afterthought: When I first began contemplating this post some weeks ago, I had planned to post before and after pictures. I have a particularly awful one of me from last Christmas, and was going to steal one from a friend's blog for the after, when I am modeling size 6 Gap jeans at an event she had hosted to launch their newest denim line.

But the reality is, that though I enjoy being thinner, the increased mental and physical health matters to me so much more than the size that I am choosing to go sans photos.

Thanks for reading about my journey to better health...feel free to enlist me as a cheerleader if any of you are making your own similar trek. I would love to support you.

11 comments:

michelle said...

Thank you so much for posting now and all along the journey. After reading your comments in March, I decided to finally try Weight Watchers. I lost a good amount of weight, quit to save money, but have tried to stick to the same kind of program. I lost 25 pounds and feel so much better about myself. I went from looking in the mirror and hating what I saw, to now being able to say, "Don't I look good!" I haven't developed a love for running. I think about it now and then, but I have a lot of issues with the commitments I would have to make, but if I keep reading your blog and you keep writing about it, I may just do it. Thanks for sharing!

Aprilyn said...

Woohoo! Way to go Kristin! I didn't do Weight Watchers but I read a book called, "The Beck Diet Solution. Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person". Ok, so I haven't finished it, but it has you go through steps so you can change your lifestyle..not just diet once and gain it back. I've now lost about 50 lbs since January. I haven't been exercising as regularly (go YOU!!), but that's because I broke my finger back in June and it took me a LONG time to get it healed enough where running around was OK for me to do.

I'm glad you are doing great and are happy.

Melinda said...

I cried after reading this last night, Kristin. A huge "Good for You!" Really. I am in a similar "before" stage right now. Laney is 6 months old, I've got 20 pounds to lose, I'm injured so I can't work out, and I'm feeling feelings of depression sink in for the first time in my life. I blogged about it today...I'm finally doing something about my injuries so that I can get back to working out. I never realized how imperative it was to my happiness until I wasn't able to do it.

Hopefully I can share my success story in a few months :)

Anonymous said...

Aaah. Amen. There are 3 magic anti-depression pills for me. 1) Exercise 2)Prayer 3)SCripture study. If I am doing these things I can see light ahead, even when reality would make it seem there is no light! When I find myself sinking in to depression, if I re-evaluate I usually find that one or more of these areas is lacking and I can pull myself out again.

Way to go. you're an awesome success story!

gollyjess said...

awesome kristin! awesome!!!

chickadee3357 said...

Steve says "You go girl!" That was really uplifting to read. I'm glad you shared!

Jen said...

Way to go! This was the reason I picked up running as well and am amazed at how I have fallen in love with how it makes me feel. You've done a great job, hats off to you!

Jolynn said...

Congratulations Kristin! I'm sooo happy for you. You look great!

Darla said...

You make me almost want to start jogging. It just seems like such a long climb. I hate taking baby steps... Darla

Kara said...

What an inspirational post, Kristin! Thanks for sharing--I really needed it tonight. I gained a lot more with this last pregnancy (blame it on the French pastries, I suppose), and have been feeling pretty discouraged with the long weight-loss journey I have ahead of me. While I'm glad that my maternity clothes fit comfortably once again (as opposed to being too tight!), I'd really hoped to be able to wear something different by now... Anyway, your writing has given me a new perspective, not about only how to lose weight, but most importantly, why.

Baby Oven said...

Thanks for the great story Kristen. You are definitely an inspiration to me and I hope I can be as motivated as you. Since we just moved I am feeling the stress weight and can't wait until I can get back to running. Thanks for sharing! ps - I still want to see pics. Seeing the visual change goes a long way in my brain. :)