Monday, September 7, 2009

Truly...Labor Day


No, I wasn't in labor today, but I did successfully complete my first half marathon.


My goal was 2:15, but I allowed myself a cushion and determined I wouldn't be disappointed if I came in under 2:30. Although I don't have my official time yet, according to the Garmin I came in at 2:20.


When the race started, the humidity was at 93%. Yes, that did make it hard to breathe. Also, there were a number of hills in this course, and seeing as how there aren't that many hills around where I live, I was kind of unprepared to deal with those. Note to self: train on hills next summer.


A couple of weeks ago I ran 12 miles in 2 hours and felt great through the run and pretty good afterwards. Today was different. I was just not feeling up to par and it was a tough run for me, but I did it. And I will probably do it again next year, though hopefully I will finish in better time.


Mr. Bloomers and the kids went on a marathon of their own to walk to a restaurant for breakfast. I am so proud of Mr. Bloomers for taking charge of the brood and doing a fabulous job. We left just after 6 AM this morning, and that is EARLY with five little kids.


The area around the race was beautiful. The kids were amazingly photogenic for the early hour.


I think they thoroughly enjoyed themselves, and still made it back to the finish line in time. As I came over to them just after the race, Max exclaimed, "Mom, you did it. You won!" So cute. At least I am the winner to him. And hey, I still got a medal!


The race wore us all out, but it was a great experience.


Funny thing is...I used to be someone who had no understanding of those who ran. When I would learn that someone had run a marathon, rather than being awed, I would just silently think about how stupid they must be to pay to sign up to be tortured by pounding the pavement. It made no sense to me.

Now I get it. I love what running does for my mental health and my physical health. I love the shape my body is taking, even after five children (though it would be nice if running could erase stretch marks or deliver a tummy tuck :). I love the natural incentive to eat healthier so I can feel stronger and train harder. I love how much more even-tempered I am because I run...for the way it clears my head and dissapates my stress. I love the goal-setting and feeling of accomplishment. I love the example I am setting for my children. I am a better person because I run.

Anyone feeling inspired? I would love for you to join me in Champaign, IL on Saturday, May 1st, 2010. There are a number of distances available, and I am recruiting friends to make it fun weekend together. These are the caps for the Second Illinois Marathon as copied from the website:

2010 race caps announced. By using a staggered start on race day, we will be able to accommodate more runners in 2010. Here are the caps — marathon: 3,000; half marathon: 6,000; 4-person relay: 300 teams; 5K: 4,000; Youth Run: 1,000. Due to the success of our inaugural 2009 races, we expect registration to reach its caps again for 2010.

Hope to see you there!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOOOO HOOOOO! I just know I'm your biggest fan (next to Dave & the cute 5). You look amazing! Way to accomplish the half marathon goal. All I can say is AMEN to all you said about "getting" the running thing! You're awesome!

Crys said...

Holy Cow YOU LOOK GREAT! I want to run...we will have to see if I can get back into it...it is just hard to start again :)

Julie said...

You look amazing and what an accomplishment. You should come do the marathon with me in Rome this next spring :) I have been recruiting friends to run it with too. It sounds like we have a similar pace too, I was about the same in my 1/2 marathon. You are awesome!! How cool.

Michael said...

OK, I'm in for the 1/2 in Champaign. I can probably get the Bishop to do it. I think this idea of getting a bunch of people to run could be good fun. Congratulations on a well-run race.

chickadee3357 said...

Way to go! I agree that you are looking great! You inspire me to work out, but I don't think I'll be doing a half marathon.

jennybhill said...

That is awesome, Kristin. I echo everyone who said you do look great, and as one who still falls in the category of "not getting" those who run, thanks for explaining. See you in Champaign in the spring!!

Kara said...

Wow! Congrats! Way to go! Hurrah! (Add in all other complimentary explicatives here...) Truly, I am SO impressed. You just may have motivated me to go for the Champaign 1/2 marathon in May. I ran one with Jason pre-kids, but I didn't train well and kind of pooped out at the end. Since then, I've been itching to try again. What better chance than now? :)

Kim and company said...

WAY TO GO SIS!! Wow! Way to go! I'm so proud of you! Such hard work, and you did great!! I totally get the runner's thing too! Phew! It's a good life! You look super girlie!

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

Hmmmmmm....must be my advanced age....I can't even fathom running like you and Jo and Kim.......I don't know if you're absolutely out of your mind, but it's certainly agreeing with you. Your mind is great and you're looking awesome!!!! Maybe we can arrange to cheer with the kids next May 1. Sounds about right for going home.....

Melinda said...

so. incredibly. awesome. Congratulations. I get the running thing. Unfortunatly my body doesn't. My knees and back can't handle it and it ticks me off. I really am so proud of you for all that you've done! You should feel amazing :)