Monday, June 21, 2010

Motherhood is not for the faint of heart, and a message of hope

Today was one of those roller coaster days with my children. Now I will say that I do adore my children. I admire their brilliance and have confidence in their talents. I also have confidence that part of their role on earth is to build my patience, and they work hard in that role.

Up: The Actress is so excited to go to Girl Scout camp. We found an acceptable hat on the way (thanks Walgreens) and made it there on time.

Down: The Artist got out of the car in the rain to whine and whine at me while I waited for the camp bus to pull away.

Up: The kids agreed to go to Great Harvest and Trader Joe's for yumminess.

Down: Max whined and cried something FEROCIOUS on the way. So much so, that I turned around so I could head back home before he decided to clam up because he really wanted more yummy bread and watermelon.

Up: Great Harvest Cinnamon rolls and Trader Joe's 99 cent pizza dough.

Down: Little Mommy and the Artist contending against each other on the way home. Little Mommy's lungs are quite powerful.

Up: I finally got them to laugh and settled after pulling the car over and telling them they were in a happy car that only went forward when the occupants were happy. (Took other funniness on my part, but they were laughing when we pulled away.) Score 1 for the Mommy.

Down: The Artist was so mad at me that she forgot her towel for swim lessons. What?

Up: The kids played pretty nicely together in the basement after lunch while I cleaned out a kitchen shelf and the top of the fridge.

Down: Pretty much the whole two hours after we picked the Actress up from camp. She needs a t-shirt to tie-dye tomorrow and was so picky. We went to KMart (which I despise but it was closest). Kids were obnoxious and I walked out without purchasing what was in my cart due to the combination of the kids and the person in front of me who was taking 15 minutes to check out because they didn't understand how to use a rebate card. The Artist kept telling me basically how awful I am and how I don't love her. Then we do Target. Holy cow was that another adventure. At least I like Target though! But not so much with five unruly children. The Artist told me that I didn't love her if I didn't go back to KMart on the way home. Seriously? Seriously? I came back with a super awesome response of, "That's like me saying you don't love me if you don't eat my boogers." My stand-up comic skills were so phenomenal on the way home that The Actress kept struggling not to laugh. (Cause she was being mad about the whole shirt business and I was ruining her pout.)

Up: Making the pizza with Max. Best time of the whole day. He loved spreading the sauce, putting on the cheese, and arranging the pepperoni. He did a great job.

Down: Continually being berated by the Artist and Little Mommy about how I don't like them or love them. Also, Max stealing a book from Princess when he is supposed to be getting buckled and walloping me when I retrieve it for her.

Up: Picking Mr. Bloomers up from the train and seeing Max light up as there were TWO freight trains on the track.

Down: Getting the kids to bed with the exception of...

Up: when we sang "I Feel my Savior's Love" after scriptures and before prayer.

Down: The Actress continuing to lament about the t-shirt problem. Only 3 acceptable choices (to me). None are acceptable to her. And the poor girl just needs some sleep! It was a long day for her.

Up: This clip. Seriously, it made my day. And the thought that I actually stayed pretty even-tempered and patient with my kids despite their horror today is an up feeling. Hoping tomorrow will be better.

6 comments:

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

"Mama said there'd be days like this..." Haven't I quoted that to you before??? But I chuckle as I read the humor in your trials and remember days like that in our house.....fortunately, all days are not like that, which gives you some hope!!!! Go in the bathroom, lock the door, cry, then get up with determination, play a game on the computer, go to bed and tomorrow will be a better day.....as long as you go back to KMart and get that shirt:)

Aprilyn said...

I am going to pray hard to be more like you. I lose it with the kids way too often. :( Thanks for being a good example.

Aprilyn said...

Oh, and I LOVE that video clip. I've seen it so many times now!

Kristin said...

Actually, it wasn't the shirt I left behind at KMart, it was a great deal on a pair of tennis shoes in Princess' next size to come. I decided the deal was just not worth it. The Actress didn't like any of the shirts at KMart.

The one I bought for her at Target that she was convinced she didn't want ended up being the one she did want at the end of the night. Sometimes us dumb mothers actually know a thing or two. Shocking, no?

So I just stayed up late washing it so it would be ready. And she loves it today. She loves how it came out and she is so glad she chose that shirt. So all is well. All is well.

Alexis said...

I wish I could come up with those clever things to say. I get frustrated very easily with Allison and all I can ever do is start counting, which I never get to 3, and I threaten to take away fun things, like going swimming. Teach me your awesome tricks Obi Won

Hinkson Family said...

That is an awesome clip. I have three weeks left of pregnancy, and it was the push I need to not give up. My time will come. I have two whiny kids, I can't imagine keeping your cool with five! Well done my friend!