Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 7

Darnit. I should have had Mr. Bloomers take pictures!

Tonight we enjoyed a round of Christmas carols at the piano. I have recently begun to teach our oldest two girls how to play the piano. The Actress had a year of lessons in first grade and has continued to enjoy some time on the piano on her own since then. The Actress had no prior experience.

I determined that a better use of my time and money would be to hire a baby-sitter to come once a week while I taught the girls rather than hauling everyone across town to pay someone else to do it. This way I get one on one time with my girls AND I save money! The going rate here is $25-30 per half hour lesson. I pay my baby-sitter/mother's helper $10 for 1 hour and 15 minutes to play with the kids in the basement. Win-win.

The Artist complained about being forced to learn how to play the piano. But after an evening like this where I can serve my family with music, I am sold on how important it is for me not to break. The rule in our family is that you can quit when you have mastered the hymns. (But I hope by then they won't want to quit. :)


But back to the message of the day...the caroling was perfect. Each child got to choose a song and we all sang all of the verses. It was so uplifting and made me grateful all over again for a handsome husband who was gifted with such a powerful voice that it overcame my rule about not dating boys from Utah, and for five healthy amazing creatures who call me Mom.

No comments: