Not outside...but you might remember me mentioning our heater's complete inability to keep up with the cold temperatures.
I had planned to have someone out to look at it a few weeks ago, but then it got a little warmer outside, and I felt so sick, that I just never got around to. I didn't really want anyone in my house anyway.
Then this morning it was 56 degrees. NOT acceptable. So, I got a referral for someone who came and checked things out, and we are no longer freezing inside.
He said something about poor installation and design, with a baffle covering three of our six heating chambers (or something like that). Basically our furnace is more than powerful enough to heat our home, but it was working on what he estimated to be 40% capacity, which wasn't cutting it. Apparently the baffle was to offer separation between some part of the air conditioning unit and the heat, but it was insulating the switch which controls the burners, so the fan would continuously blow, but the burners were off much of the time, because it was toasty in that area due to the baffle. Or something along those lines.
Unfortuneately, he came a little later than planned, and I had to rush him out at the end to go get Number One from school. So, I missed some of what he said, along with major concepts like how this would effect our cooling in the summer, and what efficiency we are running at now.
He suggested we look into replacing our heating and cooling system (to the tune of 7500-10000). Our system is a bit old, I guess, and has these air flow and efficiency issues.
I am going to have to get more information before we fork over such major bucks (when I am not stressed about getting my first grader from school), but at least in the meantime I am not freezing in my house anymore!
Warm at last. Warm at last.
6 comments:
Holy Freakin Moly. For that price, your new system had better by jewel encrusted and spray pixie dust throughout the house. But I also know that when my house is 56 degrees (or 87 in the summer) I would gladly take out a second mortgage to pay to get it fixed.
I'm glad you have heat now. HOORAY!! You're not freezing anymore!! :)
When we moved in to our house, we had to redo the duct work for our entire system. It was originally set up with only enough duct space to heat the main level. Well, once the basement was finished, the thing couldn't keep up with heating or cooling. So dumb! Why would you build a house and not build the ducts to handle it? How can that even be legal and code worthy? I'm sure it's not. So we tore out the ceiling downstairs and put in bigger ducts. Good luck with your whole situation!
Mindy
Cute blog, Kristin and Dave! Wow, not fun dealing with a heating crisis.
Wow Kristin that price is nuts! Glad you guys are warm though. There have been some really cold days down here. I don't know how you were managing up there!
Hey Kristin! You don't know me, and I'm sorry to seem like a stalker, but I used to be good friends with your mom when we lived where she lives (I don't know if you want that info on here). Anyway, I know she's not super blog-saavy and I'm definitely not great with corresponding through mail, so will you do me a huge favor and tell her Rachel Beck from Raleigh NC said hello? By the way, I love your blog though...your mom used to talk so much about you so I felt like I already knew you anyway, your children are all beautiful. Youir oldest is the same age as my oldest son. Thanks, Rachel Beck
Post a Comment