Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Dream Car

Dave and I have been talking for a year or two about what we will purchase to replace our van. We originally thought we would do it sooner rather than later (maybe due to the combination of the damaged bumper, dented side, rusting spots along the bottom, and the fact that our family makes it seem smaller every year), but as we have no car payments and lots of students loans at this time, we have decided to drive it two more years and save some money along the way.


At one point, I determined I wanted a Suburban. Dave balked. He doesn't like them. They are huge. Who needs that much space? Um, me? And our kids and their friends?


We have talked about an 8 passenger Toyota Sienna. More seating and cargo space than we currently have (with the extra storage underneath the floor). I have hesitated because I think we may be outgrowing a mini-van.



I tried to sell Dave on this sweet conversion van on Ebay.



It was like a living room inside. Tons of space and a killer entertainment system.


He was not feeling the coolness factor of the conversion van. I think he may have even suggested that it was gross. And no, I wouldn't have felt "cool" driving it, but it would be so darn practical and comfortable I don't think I would care! Please, motherhood took away any shred of coolness I may have retained from my cheerleader days.


So finally, I decided what I really wanted. There is a show on Discovery called Jon and Kate Plus 8. It is basically reality TV about a family with first grade twins and three year old septuplets (that is six, right?). I love how cool their mega van looks. It has taken me three weeks to figure out what it was...a Dodge Sprinter.


I showed it to Dave last night. He gasped, and laughed out loud. He was incredulous that I would want something that "doesn't look like a van, it is an airport shuttle!"

I said it only seated 10...he asked how many kids I was planning on having anyway?!? Though I would strongly consider a sixth, after this baby we will already have seven in our family, and sometimes, we might want to take a friend along! I don't think we would have to have any more kids to enjoy the space of the Sprinter.

Dave mocked on and on and on...even insisting that if we had something like that, we would have to charge someone a dollar to ride. He also asked if I would accept his public transport pass.

Trying to win him over (though it was clearly futile) I pointed out that it was clearly a cooler looking van than the conversion type or big Ford vans. He agreed that this might be a possibility.

And then I made the fatal mistake...I told him to give it a chance after he saw the inside of one of them...and I found a picture of the interior of one on the Dodge website:


He laughed himself silly, the triumphant ninny. I think I need a new dream car.

12 comments:

Paige said...

You totally made me laugh out loud. My friend says she wants to put a bumper sticker on her minivan that says "These Kids are Cramping my Style." If you get the airport shuttle I am TOTALLY making you one.

terica said...

I am rolling over here. I know exactly how you feel. Suburbans feel too big, mini vans too small, conversion vans too 80's and well the last one, it is either like I saw it on an episode of the Jettsons or a shuttle at a senior living center. At any rate, let me know what you eventually decide. I will be interested to know. Thanks for a real good laugh.

Dave said...

I'm sitting in my office and trying to suppress my laughter even now. That last picture is so ridiculously funny. He even has a suitcase! I love you, Kristin, but we seriously need to work on your style. I actually think the conversion van and the airport shuttle are being used strategically in order to make a suburban more palatable. It is working . . .

Judy said...

When Travis and Britt got their minivan Britt called a friend and said, "I can't believe it. I'm 25 years old and I drive a MINIVAN. I didn't tell her that it can get worse.

shoppingmommy1976 said...

Great blog! Did you know Jon and Kate live in my neighborhood? LOL!! I see their van all the time.

Crys said...

Jason and I had a good laugh over this. It is amazing how a growing family and the massive junk needed to keep one going can really cramp your style. I drove a mini van in high school and said, "Oh never again." Now with two kids, and ten kids worth of junk to haul I think, "Oh I can't wait until we buy a mini van." I still dread the day though I start wishing for an airport shuttle. You know the cart the Illini basketball team around in one of those :) I say go for the Suburban but invest in some Exxon stock first so that each time you have to fill the beast up you can feel good about contributing to the growth of your own stock! I keep telling Jason I'm holding out on the mini van hopping they come up with an awesome alternative fuel SUV before we have to buy :)

sheila said...

Go for the Suburban. I recently got one (going bigger from a minivan) and it took a couple of weeks to get used to the size, but now we totally love it. Three kids can sit comfortably across each row that you aren't constantlt hearing the bickering 'she touched me' blah blah blah. And the cargo space? I shudder thinking about how little I had in the van. It's like driving around with your own storage unit right in the back of your car. It is fantastic to take a weekend away with the kids and to be able to see out the rear window. You would seriously love it!

Melinda said...

We *love* our Suburban! We had an Expedition before and it felt bigger than our Suburban does. The Suburban drives more like a minivan than a truck. And amen to the storage space. It's awesome. But also, amen to the Exxon stock comment. It's a nasty trip to the gas station, but since we live in such a tiny town and don't drive a ton, it's palatable. We've thought about a van just for the gas mileage factor, but we need something to pull the boat and trailer. S says his future V8 Mustang can pull the boat. HA!

Mom of 3 boys said...

Sorry to just in on your blog, but it is great and really made me laugh...your minivan sounds a lot like ours...good luck in your search..and you have a great looking family.

Julie said...

That was pretty funny. 2 people in our ward have those but the Mercedes version. I had never seen anything like it and wondered why they needed so many seats.....but it's great when you have a big group, although you are the one always stuck driving :) Maybe he'll give in........

Anonymous said...

I was laughing out loud, but not too loud, cuz my #3 is sleeping right behind me...anyway, I was glad to hear about someone else having trouble agreeing on a vehicle. I shouldn't be surprised since we can't agree on names for kids and a number of other things...anyway, it's fun to see your pics and hear what is going on since we don't see ya'll. Dang cute kids...bravo on number five...don't know if we'll be as brave!
Cousin Amy

Amy Spalding said...

Okay, I wanted to get you my blog address, but obviously Iam a rookie when it comes to these things..