
On Number Two's birthday this year, we volunteered ourselves to be the victims of highway robbery...yes, we took our two older girls to American Girl Place, where a girl can be a princess, and her Daddy can pay for it.

Fortuneately, Number Two was the lucky winner of a Mia doll plus a gift certificate for the store good for brunch for four at the elementary school spring raffle. (Mia pictured here. She is the American Girl Doll of the Year for 2008.)

She wanted to go on her very birthday, and, since her birthday fell on a Saturday, it all worked out. We got a baby-sitter for Number Three and Number Four and we were off.

Here you can see them shopping already. Let the spending begin.

The lunch was a fun experience. The food was actually really good, and although it was definitely expensive for a kids' meal, it wasn't overpriced for a meal in the city of that quality.

Plus, let's face it, you are paying for atmosphere.

Any hey...Dad enjoyed it!

Mia and Nikki (Number One's doll, the 2007 doll of the year) were busy getting their hair done in the salon when we started lunch, but fortuneately, we were provided with loaner dolls for the interim. This one is Emily, friend of Molly.

And this is Ruthie, friend of Kit.

Our girls loved having their dolls at the table, and made sure they got their fill. Dave and I appreciated the clever marketing...by the end of the lunch our children wanted to purchase the loaner dolls, teaset for dolls, and the highchairs for the dolls. We didn't end up purchasing any of them, but it was fun while it lasted! I have so many children sitting at my table already that I couldn't imagine making space for dolls.

The staff did bring Mia and Nikki to our table to join us before the end of brunch with their perfectly stylish hair (which cost more than I usually spend on a haircut).

Anyway, the birthday cake was beautiful (like the birthday girl).

We all got to sing to her, and she blew out the candles.

We spent the remainder of our time watching the stage show, which was very well done, touring the displays, and spending birthday money. In our family, each child has a birthday budget. They can choose to spend it on a party, gifts, a combination, or save it (no one has taken that option yet). Dave and I made them use birthday money (with Number One taking an advance) for the salon. We covered the show tickets, and the raffle paid for lunch (except for the tip and cake which we decided to cover).

With some extra money from grandparents, Number Two had a decent amount to spend at the store. She did a great job narrowing her purchases to match her budget, and still left with quite a haul. This is my favorite picture of the day. I think she just looks so cute, and so happy and filled. This is my child whose love language is gifts, so even though this was an expensive day, it was one that meant the world to her, and was well worth it. Happy belated birthday my darling six year old!!!
PS In the second to last picture, our girls are standing in front of Kit's treehouse. Kit is the depression era girl. I find it ironic that Kit's family would have been unable to afford her treehouse, as its cost (including tax) is only $90 dollars less than Dave and I paid for monthly rent on our first apartment, and is way too expensive for a family who had to take in boarders and sell chicken eggs to keep their home during the depression. Now that is one really cool treehouse, but I can find way too many better uses for that kind of money.
3 comments:
Cute!!!! Oh how I would love a taste of that cake :)
All I can say is "Oh no!". I never imagined such a place could exist. Wow, I am really feeling out of the girly loop right now...
Wow! You did it all in one fabulous trip!
Post a Comment