This is definitely a more serious post than the last one.
I want to take my little space in the blogosphere to endorse Prop 8 in California. I wish I still had residency there and could vote in this important election.
I grew up in California. My parents, siblings, grandparents, aunt, uncle, and many cousins are still there. I care about this vote for their sake, and for the rest of us, as California is such an influential, often precedent-setting state.
Growing up, I had friends and teachers who were gay. Though I didn't agree with their choice of lifestyle, I was still friends with them. I have heterosexual friends who have lived together without being married. I am still friends with them, even though I don't agree with their lifestyle choice either. We don't all have the same values, but I still think we can exist together and be respectful of our differences...we can still learn from and benefit from each other too.
So if I am willing to allow others their agency, and even befriend them while disagreeing with their choices, why does Prop 8 matter to me?
Because it will affect my family.
If Prop 8 fails, my neices and nephews will need to be taught in school that marriage is between a man and woman, or man and man, or woman and woman. And I am not willing to accept that.
From the Protect Marriage website:
"MYTH: Allowing gay couples to legally marry does not affect anyone else.
FACT: The narrow decision of the State Supreme Court effectively renders all civil marriage meaningless and will result in tremendous confusion for children. The state Education Code (§51890) requires that teachers instruct children as young as kindergartners about marriage. If the gay marriage ruling becomes permanent, teachers will have little choice but to teach young children there is no difference between gay marriage and traditional marriage.
We should not accept a court decision that results in public school teachers teaching our kids that gay marriage is acceptable. That is an issue for parents to discuss with their children according to their own values and beliefs. It should not be forced on us against our will."
That sums up the main reason why I support Yes on 8.
The California Family Code says, “domestic partners shall have all the rights, protections and benefits” of married spouses. Prop 8 would not change this. Currently, same-sex couples in California enjoy the same legal protections and rights as married couples. Prop 8 is not seeking to take this away.
Prop 8 simply wants to protect the sanctity of marriage, and allow it to be upheld as the unity of a man and a woman. I believe in marriage. I believe it is good for individuals, families, and our society. And right now, I believe that marriage needs our protection.
Please do what you can to protect the age-old institution of marriage. Be respectful and kind as you share your opinions, but please stand up and do something, even something small.
And if you live in California, please vote yes on 8 for me, since I can't do it for myself.
2 comments:
AMEN and AMEN. We've heard from some in California that those who are openly in favor of the prop are being terrorized!! Here in Massachusetts, there are two LDS families taking their case to the Supreme Court. Their Kindergarteners were required to be in class while a book on gay marriage was read and discussed. These are 5 year olds!!!! And their teacher said she has no choice but to present it to the children. We need to speak up!!!!
Good post, Kristin. We need to speak up, even when we live in Illinois, because the consequences of this vote will affect all of us.
Post a Comment