The Lord does know our needs.
Last week a friend of mine served me in a most amazing way...she took my FIVE children into her home for about three hours while I ran errands like a mad-woman. For the seven stops I made, it would have taken literally four times as long with the five kids in tow, and I would have been emotionally frazzled by the end.
Normally, I don't tend to make it easy for others to serve me. I ran into this friend the week before at Walgreens, and she offered to take the kids to give me a break.
Now I generally avoid taking my five children into Walgreens at all costs, but they needed to be there to help with a Christmas service we were participating in. I LOVE Walgreens, because it is one huge impulse buy on shelves, and it is so fun! But I love it a whole lot less when I have to tackle a toddler trying to select his own impulse buys as I'm readjusting the baby's binkie to keep her quieted down, all the while continually shaking my head no to the selections of Number Two who NEEDS the most interesting treasures.
ANYWAY...My first instinct was to thank her for offering, but then refuse her service because I know she has three kids and a few side jobs and is busy too. But I didn't say no. I actually heard the words, "Thanks, that would be so great," come out of my mouth.
Wow! Someone offered service, and I accepted!
And it lifted my spirits so much. It wasn't just the outing, it was the fact that I was served at such an unexpected time and in such a meaningful way. I have been able to accept service when I knew I had no choice...ie...going into the hospital to have a baby and knowing someone else needs to watch my kids because labor is hard enough without adding the stress of caring for the other children.
In this case though, I could have done it myself, which is why I would normally not accept help. But I am grateful that I did, because I felt so loved and uplifted as a result. And my kids had a wonderful time.
The story gets better though, at least better for me.
The next day I watched this friend's cute little four year old. She is one of my favorite kids to watch at church when I do singing time (I am the chorister for the children). This little girl loves to give big hugs and I think she is darling.
When my friend came back to get her daughter, we visited a bit, and something came up about the gym she teaches yoga at. As a result of our conversation, our family was invited to join the gym at a special, more-affordable-for-us-rate. And we did. I almost didn't because I wondered if I could find the money in our budget and if I really ought to be leaving the kids in the child care, etc, etc. But as I calmed down and thought about it, I wondered if this wasn't an opportunity being handed to me by a loving Heavenly Father who knew I needed some help.
As it turns out, this was just what I needed! Up to two hours of child care a day in an AMAZING child care facility which the kids LOVE to go to while I exercise by MYSELF and can even shower by MYSELF if I want to! Plus an indoor pool with a couple of slides I can take the kids to in the winter.
I need exercise for my health, not only physical health, but emotional and mental health. And the treadmill is hit and miss because I can only do it when Number Four is asleep and/or Dave is home. And if I get up at the crack of dawn to do it, after having been up in the night with Number Five, then by bedtime I am a wreck. And if I do it late at night, I have a hard time getting wound down enough to go to bed. It does work out sometimes, but not on a regular basis.
Today, I did strength training and cardio with just me and my ipod (well, and a bunch of other gym members, but I pretty much tune them out). It was heavenly! (Crystal---I thought of you.) I felt so energized and uplifted, and ready to be with the kids again when I was done. I didn't take the whole two hours, but enough time to do what I needed to do. I couldn't leave my kids in a place they were unhappy just for the sake of me time, but they LOVE the child care area, so it is a win-win for our family.
The Lord really gave me what I needed...now I just have to take what I have and make the most of it. What a great start for a new year.
And what a blessing it is to be able to recognize the hand of the Lord in our lives, even in...and sometimes especially in...times of difficulty. I do believe he is always there, but sometimes we fail to notice his influence in our lives. But when we do acknowledge his hand, it sure can help us feel the love of the Lord, and help us to become more like him.
3 comments:
Thanks heavens for your friends and to you for taking the opportunity given you. This is definately the answer to your prayers!!! Now keep it up!!!! Kids do love the time with other kids in a new environment and you need that time. We're trying to figure out how to do the physical fitness thing here. We need it too!! Maybe I could leave dad at the kids corner.............
Yay. How great for you. It's so important to know when we need help and to accept it when it's offered. I'm bad at the accepting part too. I have a feeling, though, with my own number five coming along that I may become better at it :)
Hurray! It is so nice to be able to exercise without having to sacrifice precious minutes of sleep or precious minutes with hubby. I'm excited for you!
Post a Comment