Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Chocolate and More Chocolate...

Warning...sometimes blogging is my therapy. And it was a long day...thus the LOOOONG post. You may want to read it over several days, but there are lots of pictures to help the story along!

So...in running a hostel lately I have returned to my bad habits...no treadmill while hosting basement guests has led me back to a path of coping by ingesting copious amounts of chocolate sans daily exercise or proper sleep.

Not good for my weight loss efforts, or my patience level.

However...it was darn fun while it lasted! After my sister left, we hosted our annual Finger Foods Feast, which was lots of fun. It was definitely more fun for me than in years past because I hired two baby-sitters to man the basement. There were crafts galore for the kids to enjoy, and I didn't have to supervise!!! I didn't advertise as well this year and so attendance was down to probably around 50 or so, but I think most everyone who came had a great time, so all was well.

The next morning one of Dave's many brothers, Rick, and his family arrived. We hadn't seen them since three kids ago! Way too long. They are such easy and pleasant people to have around and they put up with us so well. Our kids loved getting to know their kids. The grand finale of their visit was a trek into the city where we ate at the Rainforest Cafe. We celebrated both Number One's and Rick's birthdays, and Number One couldn't stop raving about how great it was. We hope to see Rick and family again before having another three kids (lol...just teasing you love!). Seriously though, we definitely want to see them sooner rather than later. (PS Rainforest Cafe has an AWESOME chocolate volcano dessert. It is huge and delicious.)


Rick and Janae enjoying the meal. (Or is that Janae enjoying some of Rick's meal?)


Their oldest daughter, S, is sixteen already! It makes me sad to think that we are halfway to a sixteen-year old. At least Number Five is still a baby.


I remember T as a little boy. He is so grown up now.


Dave got to cab it over to meet us. We're so glad he could make it! And he might be even more glad he didn't ride with me to the restaurant. Don't ask why. Also, don't ask how many people fit in a Suburban, or if downtown driving can be difficult.


Though Number Three doesn't like cheese, her favorite food is pizza. Hmmmmm.


Here we see Number One and Number Two with cousins J and K. K is just over a year older than Number One.


Happy cousins.


Can you see Number Four asking for a bite of Dave's chocolate with his eyes? Awesome.


And a happy almost birthday girl!

Then on to the real birthday and Thanksgiving with some great friends. We celebrated with three other families, and included birthday cake for Number One. She received some great gifts, and had a great day. Number One has to put up with a lot. I practice my parenting on her, and rely on her to be responsible. It is a tough job to be the oldest of five when you are just turning eight, but she does it well. Happy birthday my darling baby girl! I don't know how you got so big.


The fashionista! Hat and jacket chosen by the birthday girl at the Rainforest Cafe.


Blowing out the candles in her cupcakes.


Eighteen kids from four families. Crazy.


And the poor family with only three kids hosted the rest of us!


Looks like one happy birthday girl!

This past weekend was so great, as Dave was home! We took the time to cut our own tree as a family, and we decorated for Christmas. Fortuneately for me, we got an extra day with him Monday. Granted, it was because he was in terrible toothache agony all weekend and had a root canal Monday morning before passing out for several hours to exhaustion, but at least he was home! If only we were independently wealthy and Dave could just be around all the time.


We found our tree! Can I say that pushing a stroller through the forest while holding a toddler is not fun? I was thrilled to choose a tree.


Number Five had been sleeping when we arrived, which is why I didn't put her in a baby carrier.


What is it with boys and sticks?


And girls and dolls and purses in the forest. Hello? Fashion and accessories are a priority for this child at the most random times.


Dave at work, while Number Four, ever-interested in what Daddy is doing, looks on.


The lumberjacks line up with their prize.


I love having kids around to help decorate!


Darling Number Three having a fabulous time.


Chic Number Two decorates herself.

Maybe we should have a Discovery Health show about Mormons with lots of kids to support our lifestyle so Dave could be home all the time...Ya know...Mormon People, Big Car: Two Plus Five and Maybe Counting Someday broadcast on Monday nights after Family Home Evening.

In the meantime...Dave continues to put in the hours (he should be home around 10 tonight) while I try to motivate myself to get back in the treadmill habit. Tomorrow. Tonight there is a brownie fudge ice cream and pumpkin chocolate chip cookie sundae waiting for me downstairs.

2 comments:

Kim and company said...

Kristin! Girlfriend--I have that same back to the chocolate habit as well. Curses...If only I were allergic...! My pathetic trick is to stick a piece of gum in my mouth and stay busy, then when the rest of my family has consumed a 300-600 calorie dessert in 5 minutes---I still have my little piece of gum that has plenty of flavor---and I'm glad I resisted! Mc and Lissa also do NOT like cheese, but enjoy pizza. Funny I wonder how many other cousins are like that. AND (mile long comment)I was just whispering to my hubby last night--wouldn't it be great if he could work a 4-6 hour work day instead of 10-12? It's a recurring theme with us, maybe because I like him enough to want to see him everyday! Such is the life eh?

Kristin said...

This is the longest blog entry ever, but I like all the pictures.

Comment by Number One