Saturday, March 13, 2010

Marathon Training Part 2: Report 1

Eight weeks down and eight to go. Look forward to weekly reports from here on out. Really, did you want to read another 24 posts?!?

Monday:

Four more hours of skiing. Great workout for my legs, core, and tri's everytime I bailed and propped myself up by digging my poles in behind me. I got better and more confident, taking bigger risks (and falling harder and more often) today. Mr. Bloomers and I had so much fun that we want to bring the kids back next spring.

Tuesday:

Rest and recover, sortive. Dove back into real life with kids and housework.

Wednesday:

5:45 AM spin class. EARLY after a vacation! But great nonetheless.

Also, gym treadmill run of 7 miles in 67:23. From dailymile:

Wannabe tempo run. The plan was 1 mile warm-up at 10:56, 5 miles at 9:01 pace, and then 1 mile cool-down at 10:56. However, this run was conveniently rescheduled from yesterday morning to today at 8:30 AM, after a 5:45 AM spin class, and getting the three oldest kids off to school.

I knew I would need more food than the banana I ate before spin, so I opted for a Clif bar en route to the gym. Not a good choice. About 2.5 miles in I thought I might throw up. I kept pace for another .8 miles and then had to stop for a minute. I took the pace down to 9:15, and then later to 9:31 to keep from losing the Clif bar in a terribly embarrassing manner. The gym is SO HOT that it made the nausea even worse. I didn't hold the planned pace, but all things considered, this was a successful run. It increased my self-confidence to know that when it's hard I might have to slow down, but I won't quit.

Thursday:

Swimming day. Missed workout AGAIN! Real life sometimes gets in the way of my pretending to be an athlete. :)

Friday:

The easy run that didn't happen. Kids out of school yesterday and today with Mr. Bloomers in New York. Lots going on and I am so exhausted. Next week will be better.

Saturday:

16 miles on the treadmill in 2:47:30. Crazy.

Watched Everything's Fine, then listened to the Ipod. Started late due to a last minute urgent care visit with one of the kids late last night, but I was saved by our old baby-sitter being back in town to visit. She is the BEST EVER. She spent the night so I could make said urgent care visit and then got up and made chocolate chip pancakes for the kids for breakfast while I finished the run. Awesome. As for the run, it was pretty good. Considered venturing outside since I ended up with help, but it was very rainy and I just didn't feel like being soaked for that long.

I feel bad about the runs I missed in the last week. I don't think it will adversely affect my training overall, but it does make me anxious to get back on track before I lose momentum.

Also, I must stop eating treats out of control and make better food choices. I know that would make the training easier. I just tend to turn to chocolate in times of stress, fatigue, depression, celebration, accomplishment...you get the picture. :)


Happy running!

No comments: