Saturday, January 19, 2008

Last Night...

was WONDERFUL! We had a baby-sitter, and when we got home the kids were all asleep. I adore my children, but let me tell you, they are especially adorable when unconscious.

Dave and I went to the temple. It was ward** temple night, and 20-25 people from our ward were there. It was nice to see people that we knew.

Afterwards, we decided to live it up! We went to TGIFridays, and it was so fun. Our server Vlad was honestly the best server we have had in a super long time. We split one of those meals that comes with the appetizer, entree, and dessert, and he had the entree split onto two plates. Not to mention the fact that he is from Siberia, which means he wasn't as freezing as I was. These midwestern winters are brutal for a girl from California. Did I mention weather.com says it is -2 at our house right now, and that the "feels like" temperature is -19? And our heater can only keep it at 62 degrees at best when it is this cold?

Anyway, the night was really enjoyable for us. We got home and our super new baby-sitter seemed to have everything under control. Apparently she had had a little trouble with Number Two, but overall things had gone well. She did comment that Number Two was very intelligent for a five year old, and I think she still liked her, so that was positive.

She went to grab her shoes so I could take her home, and they were nowhere to be found! I know she had left them by the front door. We searched, and searched and searched. No luck. Dave and I (and the baby-sitter) of course had our suspicions as to the culprit.



Of course, who else could it be?

I tried to wake her up, and got a glimpse or two of that famous Number Two grump face captured recently by Barb at Sears. I could not wake her.

Dave was more persistent, and finally, he was able to rouse her enough to see her smirk when she rediscovered how clever she had been at hiding the shoes.



He asked her where the shoes were, and she again flashed the sly grin. He asked if it was a secret where they were, and she grinned again. Eyes still closed of course, as she was only semi-conscious. After much perseverence, she murmured that they were under Number One's bed, and went back to sleep.

Fortuneately, our new baby-sitter has a great sense of humor. She took it quite well.

But here is the interesting part, and an example of why I am ever challenged at knowing how to parent this darling daughter of mine: When asked why she hid the shoes, Number Two said it is because she didn't like the way that the baby-sitter had done some things, and that she wanted her to stay until morning so Number Two could teach her how to do it differently.

What a deep thinker. There is always so much more going on beneath the surface with this child. I am often at a loss trying to understand what she really thinks, and what really motivates her. She has such a good heart, but she thinks so out of of the box, that sometimes other people can't see her for the great little girl she is. While I don't want to dampen her creativity, I am continually striving to help her find her way, so that she can be both her creative self, and a successful part of her family and community.

And to show that she had other cute expressions at the photo shoot:






That is our darling Number Two!



**In case you aren't up with the LDS lingo...ward is a word that refers to congregation. The church has divided up the world with geographic boundaries. If you want to know which ward you are in, you can actually type in your address on the church's website, and it will tell you. You meet together for services and for other activities from time to time. Wards are grouped into stakes. The Savior of the World production we were in last fall was done on a stake level.

No comments: