Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Caramel

Okay, the caramel was really good.

I have made caramel in the past, and found that it is a LOT of effort...stirring and stirring until just the right temperature. And, I think the caramel I have made that way was a little better than the kind we made tonight...

BUT, the kind we made tonight was too easy to taste this good.

I would like to credit the person I got this recipe from, except I can't remember where I found it. I know that about a week ago I was checking in on a friend's blog and saw a name on one of their links that looked familiar. Turns out that I didn't actually know the friend's friend, but that friend of my friend had posted a caramel recipe that looked easy, so I emailed it to myself right then.

If anyone knows which blog I got this recipe from, feel free to let me know and I will properly credit them.

In the meantime, I highly recommend you all go ahead and try this one. Then let me know if you thought it was good too.

"Caramel Recipe

1/2 c. butter melted
1/2 c. corn syrup
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sweetened condensed milk

Mix all ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 6 1/2-7 minutes. (My microwave cooks fast so I do 6 1/2 minutes...its just trial and error) As soon as it is done pour into a 8x8 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. It will be REALLY hot and boiling, but you have to pour it right away. Cool for 10 minutes at room temp. Then put in the refrigerator for another 30-35 minutes. Cut into dice size squares and then roll into wax paper!"

I did two batches (since you can do two batches with one can of sweetened condensed milk, and what would I have done with the other half?)...one at 6 minutes and one at 6.5 minutes. Our microwave is super powerful, and I liked the 6 minute batch better.

Enjoy!

Addendum--I discovered the source of the recipe...http://wilderfam.blogspot.com/2007/12/caramel-recipe.html

2 comments:

Paige said...

Um, I can tell you that *I* probably would have gotten out a spoon and EATEN the other half a can of sweetened condensed milk. I love that stuff. Last night we made Magic Cookie Bars with a graham cracker crust and chocolate chips and cocount sprinked on it, than sweetened condensed milk poured on it and baked. Oh, heaven. I had to send all the rest to work with Brian to keep me from eating it all day.

Crys said...

I'm with Paige I probably wouldn't have been able to wait...although those Magic Cookie Bars sound really good as well!