Well, we are just about recovered. The kids were pretty much on California time when we returned, which, on top of a later summer bedtime wasn't working for me.
Suitcases have been long since unpacked. And today I tackled the mountain of mail and reclaimed my dining room.
Friday we started our M-F summer routine. I am up and walking at 6. Before 8 I have walked, made my bed, prayed, read scriptures, made Dave's lunch, showered and dressed.
By 8 or 8:30 the kids are getting up and ready (all dressed, teeth and hair brushed, beds made, morning prayers, and breakfast).
By 9 or 9:15 we are done with breakfast, including unloading the dishwasher and loading in the breakfast dishes.
We do some morning chores, which vary day by day, and go outside to play and ride bikes around our court.
From 10-11 we have our summer homeschool. So far we have learned about having a house of order (including a planning meeting), appaloosa horses, and how milk comes from dairy farms to the grocery store. We have also worked on reading and math each day, and included a snack and book time. I let the kids give me ideas of things they were interested in learning about, and with the help of the internet, I am becoming knowledgeable enough about those topics to teach them.
During Number Four's nap we do some projects, and have some free time. Then lunch, and either swimming or errands, or another activity. The rest of the day is more laid back. We eat dinner between 5 and 6 or so, and the kids are down by about 8.
I have actually been printing off a daily schedule, which helps us to stay focused. It is funny to watch Number One be flustered when we aren't quite on schedule.
We have only done three days this way, but everyone is so much happier. There is much less TV. Things are getting done...both fun summer things, housework things, and learning things. Everyone is getting used to the routine, and I feel good about how we are spending our time.
This scheduling was really not only to benefit the kids, but to help me. This is the time in my pregnancies when the pre-partum depression sets in. The morning walk is vital to helping combat that, as well as a feeling of progress and control in our family.
And now that I am better caught up on things...I can fill in the details of our grand adventure!
3 comments:
Wow. I am muy impressed. I hope that all of this helps keep the blues away! Heaven knows there is no time for THAT on the schedule. :)
Thanks for writing a routine for me :) I've been wanting a summer routine, but we've ended up taking each day as it comes. That's fun for the first week or so of summer, but we're ready for something more structured.
Great routine! I got magnetic job charts for the boys which work great for us. I have also been working very hard on doing my morning routine as outlined by the FlyLady. I go to water aerobics from 8:30am-9:30am so things are a bit later here. I love the easy goingness of summer.
Post a Comment