Sunday, April 25, 2010

Marathon Training Part 2: Report 7

One week from today I will be a marathoner. Crazy, you know? For someone who always thought that it was really stupid to pay registration fees and run until you want to throw up in the name of fun, I'm a little shocked sometimes that I somehow crossed over to do the thing I thought was stupid.

I think it has been shocking for Mr. Bloomers too. Of course, he didn't marry a runner. He didn't marry someone who wanted to get up early on their birthday to run a race. He didn't marry someone who wanted to spend a good chunk of a number of Saturdays fitting in the long runs so they'd prepared to spend a weekend focused on a marathon.

Yet, he has been a great supporter. He watched the kids when I ran my first three races, and then participated with me in the last two. And he'll be there on Saturday when I cross the finish line. And I wish I could be there when he crosses, completing his first half marathon, but I'll still be running.

This week was a tapering week. I had the wimpiest workout week I've had in quite some time yet I feel so many more aches. I've heard that can be normal. I hope so!

Monday:

I rested, although this had not been the original plan.

Tuesday:

Treadmill – 5 miles in 50:17 (10:03 pace)

Missed yesterday's run due to unexpected doctor appointments for one of my children. After missing two days of running, I was really needy for some of those endorphins.

Wednesday:

Elliptical – 4 miles in 33:01

Haven't done the elliptical in a long time. Wish I could keep that pace running for four miles! It makes a difference to have the arms helping and cheating, plus the momentum of the elliptical itself. Still tapering...

Thursday:

Gym Treadmill – 5 miles in 46:11 (9:14 pace)

Tempo run. 5 miles total including 3 miles at 8:40, though I cheated a little and sped it up some at the end cause I wanted to be done. Getting treadmill burnout. Chose sleeping in over running outside, thus gym treadmill again. Must get to bed earlier and start going out early in the morning again.

Friday:

Rest day again. Mostly because I felt lazy.

Saturday:

Treadmill – 8 miles in 1:20:25 (10:03 pace)

Last longish run before the big day. Ended up super late at night like last week, which was a super bummer since that left me stuck on the treadmill. I can hardly believe I am only one week away from the big day.

Happy running!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Good luck on Saturday! I know you'll do great!