Thursday, January 21, 2010

Here in Rainy CA

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your generous offers to watch our children, and your kind thoughts on our behalf. My grandmother passed away late Sunday evening at age 94. My great sadness is that she was never able to meet Princess in person. She saw pictures, but we only make it out here about every other year, and last time we were here I was very pregnant with Princess. I had sent pictures, even recently, and so she did see Princess in photos, but I regret not having been able to have them together.

But I am grateful to know that I will see my grandma again. And that she is still my grandma. And I'm happy for her to be freed from a deteriorating body, and reunited with my Aunt Kathy, who passed away in September. Those thoughts are very comforting.

This has been a wild week, getting things coordinated so I could make this trip. Before the crack of dawn this morning, Princess and I were off on an arduous journey west. I didn't go to bed last night, but got a decent neck-crinking nap on the first leg of the flight so I could survive the day. Among other bumps in our travel, we had a short connection made shorter by a delayed arrival. I sprinted approximately three quarters of a mile from one terminal to another, with baby, car seat, and two bags in tow, quite grateful that I am a runner. But we pulled through the travel very well, even if my first CA purchase was Excedrin in the airport just after landing.

This afternooon Princess and I ran errands with my mom, and had a nice visit with my grandpa. It was nice to be home this evening with my parents here in the home I grew up in.

The kids at home fared well from what I hear. Mr. Bloomers stepped in as SuperDad, and kind friends helped watch our children while he went into the office for a shorter working day than usual. Tomorrow Mr. Bloomers will work from home, and I think the little kids will have another playdate to help him out. I am grateful for the service of our friends who are making it possible for me to be here. It means a lot to me.

Still haven't gotten my Wednesday run in (and it's late Thursday evening) but I will find a way to get those miles in while I'm here. Fortuneately, there are many willing and able baby-sitters amongst my family to entertain Princess while I'm pounding the pavement...which will have to wait till tomorrow cause I've got to get some sleep.

With love,
Kristin

4 comments:

Kara said...

We're sorry to read about your loss. Even when we know people have passed on to a happier place, we still miss them here. What a wonderful time, however, to be surrounded by families and friends that care. Good luck with your run!

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

So glad you got to go! And your grama is smiling on you. Now go run!!
Love you.

Alexis said...

Sorry for your loss, it's always hard. On a good note you can use your 3/4 mile sprint from one terminal to the other as part of your run. Take Care!

Melinda said...

Kristin, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma! I'm so glad you were able to make it to California, though :)