Wednesday, January 27, 2010

It's On

I have officially engaged in a power struggle with the two year-old.

If there is anything I've learned in parenting thus far, it's that you cannot win in an open power struggle with a two. Yet I am casting all parenting wisdom aside. It's Max versus The Mommy in an all out no holds barred potty training war.


Don't be fooled by this adorable face. This is the child that hid in the empty storage space under his captain's bed tonight just after the bath while I dressed Princess. And pooped. Before I had his diaper on. He is at that stage of "I-know-when-it's-coming-and-so-I-will-hide-and-find-privacy-like-under-the-table-or-in-a-closet." But this time, he was diaperless. AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

I have news for you Max...the restroom IS private. And when you're done we can simply flush the mess away.

The boy's birthday is in a few weeks, and I have been warning him that when he's three he will need to give up the diapers. Despite the Superhero briefs and promises of rewards galore, he has yet to act all that interested.

I've trained three girls (or rather set the stage for them to train themselves), but this boy has pushed all my buttons and I feel at a complete loss.

If there were a "toddler whisperer" who could potty train overnight, she'd be hired. But since I haven't seen any ads to this end, I'm afraid I'm on my own.

Take pity and give me your best tips for potty training a boy. I sure need 'em.

6 comments:

Jessica Bybee said...

Parker likes to make "Bubbles" in the water has he goes. (He stands up). Good luck! (Oh, watch out if you have him sit down not to stand right in front of him)!

Alexis said...

I'm atarting to potty train Allison, but my mother in law said for her bos she would put cherrio's in the toliet and have them aim at them for a game. Someone else would put a jar of candy on the toliet and when they went they got a piece of that candy, another person would give a little hot wheel car for the first week of successful potty training. My sister in law just stopped putting pull ups on her 4 yr. old son and he didn't like being dirty in his new underwear. That's advice I've been given by others, but I'm frustrated with my own. She tells me right before or as she's going, either way it's late for her. how did you get your girls potty trained??

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

As the mother of 7 boys...I quit trying to potty train them. I began to dislike those boys whilst trying to make model bathroom citizens out of them.....soI quit!!! I figured they would go to school with pampers in their lunch boxes. But alas, they conformed to social propriety and trained themselves before school started!! So, don't ask me!!!!

Melinda said...

None of my boys were potty trained before age 3. Preston did it himself, literally overnight, right at about his 3rd birthday. The other two were so hard until I let it go. They did it on their own not terribly long after they turned 3. Clarissa even...I was all stressed out because Taliana was trained at like barely 2, so I pushed Clarissa, but she just pushed back. I stepped back and she got it on her own (with constant encouragement) a few months ago (at about 3 1/2). So after 4 kids, I'm a full believer in not pushing it. Patience, constant encouragement, and setting up for the long haul :)

My two cents...

Aprilyn said...

Nate was potty trained (dry during the day) before age 2 but took MUCH longer before he would poop in the potty. Marshall was closer to 3 when he decided he was ready. It was like a light switch was turned on and he decided it was his time. He was suddenly dry day and night. Sadly, now he wets the bed again. We're pretty sure it is due to anxiety.

Marilee said...

I put underwear on Ezra the day after he was three. He screamed for a half-an-hour and then never had an accident. NEVER. It was the easiest one. I wish I had never said a word before he was three. It would have saved me a lot of energy.