I just received an email which included the following:
You have registered to participate in the Marathon.
You have been assigned Bib Number: 2311.
And I got serious butterflies. All of sudden it seems real. I'm excited, yes, but I am absolutely terrified too. Of what, I'm not sure.
***************************************************
The Actress came home one day from school last week. She was VERY distraught.
Actress: "Mom, a boy at school said a really mean thing to me today."
Me: "I'm sorry. What did he say?"
Actress: "Well, he knows you are running a marathon and he said that people die running marathons."
Me: "Who is this boy?"
Actress: "I don't even know him."
Me: "Then how does he know I'm running a marathon?"
Actress: "Kids at school just know. They talk about it."
Me: "Seriously? Well, that wasn't a very nice thing to say, but there is truth to it. Not every marathon has a death at it, but people do sometimes die in marathons. Generally speaking, when that happens the person hasn't had proper training or taken in proper nutrition during the race. I know of a man who died because his body completely ran out of potassium and his heart stopped. Also, people can die if they have an underlying health issue. I can't promise I won't die, but I wouldn't run this race if I thought I would. I have trained properly, and I know to take in good nutrition and hydration during the race. So don't be worried."
She seemed satisfied. Boys can be so dumb sometimes! And girls can be so easily freaked out.
***************************************************
I'm not terrified because I think I won't live through the race. I think I'm terrified of being disappointed if I don't make my goal time. Maybe someday I'll run another marathon, but this is most likely a one-time shot. And I want it to be not just good, but great!
And I'm worried about nutrition since the gels I've been using now make me sick and I have to figure out what to substitute it with, without having a long run to test the new stuff.
But I'm excited too, and full of butterflies.
6 comments:
As your marathon has gotten closer, I've thought seriously about what it would be like to run that far...and for that long. I'm still on the side of the fence that thinks you are a little crazy :) But it's very, very cool. I'll be excited to hear how it went. And for my brother too :) Good luck to both of you!
I have a friend out here who has run two marathons this year already (crazy, I know) anyway, the point of me sharing this is to tell you that she runs with bagels. She says she feels a little stupid, but it gives her way more energy than gels. And all the protein bars and gels make her throw-up around mile 20. Just a thought incase it helps.
Good luck!!!!!!!
Well you're definitely prepared. I did not feel prepared when I did it those many moons ago- I was not nearly as prepared as you are, and I'm still living to tell about it. You're just awesome. I have butterflies for you!
Um I didn't know anyone died except for the Greek guy who ran the first documented marathon at the Battle of Marathon... One more reason for me to never run one, but good for you! :)
You can do it! I was sitting here about to knit and remembered that tomorrow is the big day for you. I wanted to come and wish you the best.
Last year, before my first marathon, I wrote a little something for myself, a little marathon manifesto http://www.purlingsprite.com/2009/09/premarathon-manifesto.html. Hope it helps.
About nutrition: I have switched to the jelly beans. I have now about 2 baggies of jelly beans and 1 GU about 12 miles in. Hope this helps.
Whatever you do, just smile, enjoy the moment. You have trained so hard, tomorrow it is pay day! :). Good luck my friend!
Good Luck today, though the race is probably over! Treat yourself to something yummy once you've finished!
Post a Comment