Thursday, February 4, 2010

Marathon Training: Report 11

Yesterday I was supposed to run 7 easy miles @10:50.

I didn't run at all. I slept in.

This morning I ran 5 miles, progressively faster while playing with the treadmill incline in 52:02 (10:24 average pace). I didn't get up early enough to do more than that.

This marathon training isn't working for me. I thought that within a few weeks I would adjust to three days of running longer amounts, in lieu of my usual 4-6 days of running shorter amounts.

I'm not.

I'm grumpy. Three helpings a week of the runner's high isn't cutting it.

So...exploring other options. Do I:

1. Change up my training from what has been prescribed. Take away miles from midweek runs to create an extra day of running without increasing mileage. I don't want to touch my long run distances, but could I be okay messing with the midweek stuff?

2. Order P90X or some other at home DVD system to do two mornings a week for crosstraining?

3. Purchase a weight bench, an exercise ball, and some basic free weights?

4. Join a gym? Ironic that I cancelled our gym membership effective January 31st. I LOVED our gym, but it was just too far away and I couldn't make it work anymore. It took 45 minutes to load the kids, drive there, unload them, walk to the child care center, drop them off, pick them up, walk them back out, and drive home. I could do a whole workout in that much time! There is another newer gym closer to me that opened while we were with the other gym. It is smaller, and doesn't have all the same features (like allowing the kids to play at the indoor pool) but it is cheaper too. And people I know that go there like it. And they have a cycling class at 5:45 AM twice a week. That could work, and I could go early enough to lift weights for a half hour or so. They do have a free one-day trial pass.

All I do know is that I've got to do something different cause I'm losing my mojo, and I have a marathon on the horizon, and more importantly, five darling kids who need me to be my best self.

So crosstraining...here I come!


Happy running!

No comments: