Sunday, February 28, 2010

Marathon Training: Report 19

Monday:

Weights at the gym for 48 minutes. Upper body and core. I do not love weight lifting, but think it is important so I'm trying to get it in there.

3 miles in 31:01, recovery run.

Nice and slow for the first 2.65 miles. Then the gym daycare let me know I had a stinky kid so rather than cut the workout short (which I should have done), I super sprinted to the end.

Tuesday:

6 miles in 56:39, speedwork.

This run accomplished a goal I've had for months! I ran 5 miles in under 45 minutes!! You speedies won't be all too impressed, but I've been running for just over a year.

When I first started I wanted to be able to run a whole mile in 12 minutes. As I got better I set my sights on being able to run 3 miles without stopping in 30 minutes. I got to that point some months ago. In the back of my mind being able to run 5 miles in 45 minutes became this seemingly unreachable dream that I hoped for someday. I didn't ever really focus on it, as I instead set my sights on a half marathon, and now the upcoming marathon, but I didn't forget.

Today was the day! I ran the first mile in 10:58 to warm up, followed by 4 miles (this was a tempo run) in 36:26 (9:06 pace). While running I thought about my goal and decided to pound out one last mile and see if I could make it. I ran the last mile in 8:15, which means the last five were in 44:41. Go ME!!


Happy running!

No comments: