Sunday, February 28, 2010

Marathon Training: Report 20

Wednesday:

Spin class for 55 minutes. I'm getting better at it! Tough to do after the previous day's speedwork. When it was time to sprint on the bike I found the legs not super responsive, but a good time nonetheless. There is a great repore in that class and I am enjoying being part of it.

Thursday:

I planned to get up early for my Thursday swim. I just couldn't get out of bed that early again. Later in the day I posted this on dailymile, "I think I'm feeling training burnout. Six days a week of mostly intense workouts, plus a husband who is hardly home, plus five kids under 10, plus commitments with church and the kids' schools and extra activities, minus a housecleaning service, a nanny, a cook, a personal assistant, or any family or help in the area is wearing me out. My house is trashed, I'm exhausted, and my kids need more from me. Tough to admit that I can't do everything darnit! I think I'm going to have to step back the training a bit. I'm sure I'll still be able to run the marathon, but maybe I'll just have to run it a little bit slower. But you know, if this realization is the worst thing that happened today, I'm still pretty blessed. Now off to do the bedtime routine."

This training is harder than I anticipated. I mentally planned for the time it would take to do the actual training. I didn't plan for how taxing it would be on my body. How I would crave extra sleep but have less time for it. How I might be really really sore some days but still have to run the laundry up the stairs. How it would be hard to have the energy for the many other very busy moments of the day.

So I'm re-evaluating my training. Again. Last time I did that I ramped it up significantly. This time I plan to pull it back some.

But I'm still running the marathon.


Happy running!

No comments: