Wednesday and Thursday presented new adventures. I'll share what I posted on dailymile here about those two days.
Wednesday, February 10th:
Spin Class – -->01:00
First spin class ever. Thoughts from a beginner:
1. How do you get comfy on this thing? Couldn't the seat be bigger? How does someone with a big bum ever get comfortable? I'm not even that big and it's impossible!
2. This is super easy. Why do people make such a big deal about getting a workout in a spin class? What does he mean by level? Oh, this lever controls resistance. Oh, I see. Yeah, not so easy anymore. Crud. That kind of hurts. That's hard.
3. Position 3. What is that? Like ballet or something?
4. Did that song just say "Don't stop the music?" cause if the music stopped I could get off. My legs are burning. Sprint. What? My legs are en fuego. Doesn't he know I ran hard yesterday?
5. Only 25 minutes down. How long does this class go? Maybe it will end early. Should I let down the resistance? No. Need to make every workout count. Plus, I don't want to be shown up by the guys around me.
6. 15 minutes left. I'm rockin it now. I like these jumps.
7. And done. PHEW! How far did I go? I have no idea.
Thursday, February 11th:
Upper body and a little abs – -->00:30
Um. So in all these months of running my arms didn't magically get stronger like my legs did. Good first time back to the weights since forever ago.
Gym Pool – -->800 m / 00:24
Go me for crosstraining again!!! Thoughts on swimming for the first time in a super long time (unless you count wading around with the kids):
1. These goggles, borrowed from 9-year old will be great. Nice seal. Darnit, they're already filling with water and I'm only on my second lap. Now they're fogging up. I give up. I'll just go goggleless and close my eyes a lot. Without my contacts I can hardly see anyway.
2. Swimming is awesome. Everything is coming back to me from swim team 20 years ago. Except I'm only on the fourth lap and I can't breathe. Seriously, how do people breathe and swim at the same time? Can't get enough air. Do I look as challenged as I feel?
3. Okay, time to alternate strokes. Two laps free, two laps back. Two laps free, two laps breast. I can breathe again! Whew.
4. 400 yards and I'm doing great.
5. 500 yards and I'm getting a little tired.
6. 600 yards. Crud. That old guy is toasting me! He just must be really fast. I can't be that slow.
7. 700 yards. Endurance is waining. Come on legs. Keep kicking! Keep kicking! I'm sinking darnit.
8. 800 yards. And done. Good thing I can blame an early quit time on being in a hurry to get home and get the kids to school.
I have a whole new admiration for triathletes. It's really hard to train on more than one thing. Based on the last two days of spinning and swimming I am not seeing a triathlon in the near future. But maybe someday...
Happy running (and biking and lifting and swimming)!
No comments:
Post a Comment